Comments on M1 & engine noise at 40-50 MPH??

Status
Not open for further replies.
I changed the M1 10W30 in my Tahoe this weekend and replaced it with Havoline 10W30. I liked the way the engine ran with the M1, but I noticed that the noise level was much lower with the Havoline dino. When using M1 10W30 I could hear the engine rattle (or lug or struggle) when I drove in the 40-50 mph range. In areas where the speed limit is 45 this means that the rpms are fluctuating as the transmissions shifts from OD to 3rd or 4th gear. The noise from the engine at these speeds were magnified when I towed a trailer up and down the hills in the area.

The Havoline 10W30 is much quieter and I don't get this noise from the engine in the speed/rpm range. I have read topics before where people have commented that M1 is "louder" than other oils, but I perceive this noise to have an impact on the engine performance. I changed the M1 at only 4500 miles because I was concerned with all of the noise. My wife even noticed it without any discussion from me about it (which means that it was pretty loud). I was going to send a sample for UOA, but my 2 year old son crawled under the truck with me about the time I was getting the sample container ready. I was worried that the hot exhaust pipe would burn him, so I had to get him out....and missed the chance to submit a sample.

Has anyone experienced this issue with M1? The engine in the Tahoe (5.3L) has been quiet with Castrol GTX, Syntec and now with the Havoline. The only time I heard this noise was with M1. Any thoughts or comments?

I had an issue with a high engine noise level when using M1 0W-40. This ocurred only with a hot engine.

Perhaps the Havoline is a thicker 30wt or has a more friction modifiers. The Havoline add pack is impressive.

I've noticed a similar increase in engine noise using M1 EP 5w-30 compared with Castrol GTX 5w-30 and Shell Rotella T 5w-40.

Gary

Hi,

With my 2000 4.8ltr (short stroke 5.3) the only noise I hear is the slight ticking from the injectors at sometime when running Pennzoil or Cheveron Dino.

When I was running Mobil 1 tri-syn the engine did make more noises and the UOAs were better with the Dino!

The engine was younger but broken in when I went to Syn.

So I went and stayed with Dino.
grin.gif

I run 10w-30 durning 9 months and 5w-30 in the Winter.

also, the noises I hear are the engine as I have I have a manual transmisson!
cool.gif

Take care, Bill
biggthumbcoffe.gif

In the GM Vortec 5.3L's, at start-up and idle, the PAO synthetics seem to transmit more engine noise than dino based oils.

Pre-detonation or pinging could be the source of the "rattle noise" in your Tahoe, especially if it shows up in 4th gear/overdrive, while towing a trailer up a hill.

But if simply switching to a dino makes the noise go away, it's obviously not a pinging problem.

With my Silverado 5.3L, Pennzoil also seems to be a good choice for lower engine noise levels.

I noticed my car (04 Grand Am 3400) was quieter with GC than with M1 5w-30 (non EP)..especially at start up OMG. And driving down the street with a cool engine (after short warm-up of course) I could hear noise, presumably valve noise....it was annoying. GC makes 'er purr like a kitten
grin.gif
. I'm thinking about NOT going back to M1 when my GC stashed is all used up...
spaz.gif

I just got back from a 600+ mile trip and can confirm that the engine is a lot quieter with the Havoline 10W30 dino vs. the M1 5W30. It was mostly interstate driving, but the noise level was noticeably reduced.

I always put the transmission in "tow mode" when pulling the trailer, so it wasn't transmission noise that I was hearing
grin.gif

Bill - I think I am going to follow your lead and stick with the dino. I will post a UOA after the next OCI.

It is interesting that a lot of you had the same experience.

To quiet it down you just add a little 15w50 M1. Start with 250 ML of the 15w50 added to the mix. Usually this little tweak is all thats needed. You may have to add a little more or less jsut find the sweet spot. Of course this is not overfilling the sump its adding oil to the full line preferrably at the OCI.
twak.gif

Daily Drives:
-2003 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner,2.7 liter, 4 cylinder, Mobil1 5w30 ODO 15600
-1995 Toyota 4-Runner,3.0 liter,6 cylinder, Mobil1 10w30 ODO 96200
http://community.webshots.com/user/amkeer

I just put 4 qts of Havoline HM 5w30 + 1qt Red Line 10w30 in my Vibe GT and it's the quietest the motor has been to date. Toyota's 2ZZ isn't a quiet motor to begin with and the Vibe doesn't have much insulation so it's easy to tell. I'm sure the Red Line helps. Lots of Moly in the Hav might also have an effect. Next best was Schaeffers blend followed by RP and M1. The RP started OK but got louder by 3k mi.(shearing)? M1 was always noisey.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back