Come On, Really?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Scotty is a smart man. He built up a series of auto maintenance videos, attracted a following, and the advertisers noticed his hit numbers. He is now raking in the dough from paid advertising. He sold out but hey, a guy has to make a living.

Originally Posted By: Char Baby
This may have been posted here at Bob's but, I searched and couldn't find anything. This was posted in October 2017 from Scotty Kilmer(whom I do like) but, REALLY?
After all of these years, Scotty still buys this stuff?
This is Scotty's take on Slick50:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=00dReHzKY0E

I had the same reaction - but I've got so much respect for Scotty that I wondered if I'd written Slick 50 off prematurely.

Scotty is more about entertainment than he is about great car maintenance tips. I gave up on watching his videos for automotive ideas, quite some time ago. But I still find myself watching one of his videos from time to time, just to see what kind of off the wall advice he is giving.

He's has a few videos on why you shouldn't buy a Mercedes. Don't agree with him on a few things. He did a scan of one car and it came up with 25 trouble codes. Thing is if there's a problem it records it as a fault. But things like low battery voltage can set faults with all sorts of systems and then as soon as the battery is charged, they're all gone, but they're all stored trouble codes that he complains about. And then he compares MB lists prices with dealer labor hours, but he's an indy mechanic so why not list his repair price instead of the dealer price. He was also complaining about the brakes on a certain model having a lip, that might be that particular model or just a defect with that car, mine doesn't have the same problem.

***** x 100000. Scotty does do good by letting people know how useless Seafoam is and that PEA based cleaners are the new performers. His intro is really loud..I prefer engineering explained EE or Mighty Car Mods from Australia.

Scotty has been a member on here for a few years. He joined around 3/2016, location shows as Toronto and has about 1100 posts.

Originally Posted By: SatinSilver
Scotty has been a member on here for a few years. He joined around 3/2016, location shows as Toronto and has about 1100 posts.

I think Scotty Kilmer lives in Texas!

Originally Posted By: SatinSilver

That's interesting, I was not aware of that. His yt vids seem to indicate a warmer climate.

As for Scotty and the Slick 50 recommendation, IMO, full of hot air with this one.

And Scotty's good buddy now being rich, proves the phrase, there's a sucker born every minute.

Topic reminds of another recent discussion on PCMO board where the fella says absolutely no more than 5k miles on synthetic oil. Supposedly he too is a 'youtube sensation', with noted mechanical aptitude qualities. Oil expert, not so much imo.

I do watch Scotty's videos, because they are short and usually entertaining. If they were longer, I wouldn't watch. Also his videos tend to be more for beginners.

Eric the Car Guy is the best of the youtube mechanics I've found. I will watch and enjoy his long-form videos

The others, like ChrisFix, etc., are mostly a waste of time in my opinion.

It's Eric the Car Guy and Jay Leno's Garage on youtube for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back