Comcast Business?

Y_K

Anybody has experience with Comcast Business please?

Does it really offer more uptime / shorter downtimes?

I understand they force their modem on you for this tier, which is fine, but you have no control over certain things, e.g. I don't need their wifi, I have my own Opnsense with Aruba here. My main interest is in stability of Internet access. Not running any services here, but using a critical one.

TIA

Correction: you can use your own modem now:

Last edited:
Semi-answering my own question: it may be having a bridged back-up provider will give me peace of mind. 4G LTE would do fine for my area and my application.

Last edited:
If your residential connection is with coax now, there is a 100% chance your connection with Comcast Business at the same address will be with coax. There will be zero difference in reliability. There will be a difference in latency and packet loss IF there is congestion in your node. My experience with Comcast residential is that there is little congestion since DOCSIS 3.1 was rolled out.

Thank you very much. Latency is not critical for my needs, i's reasonable here.

I've had both residential and business at my house. There is zero difference besides price and speed packages offered.

The one nice thing about the business side is that when you call the support number, you get a US-based native-English speaking representative who isn't tied down with mandatory scripts to read. They simply help you with whatever you're calling in about. There was never a wait when calling, either. That was awesome, but the service was so reliable that it really didn't come into play much.

Comcast classifies addresses in the system as either business or residential. If an address is listed as business, it takes an act of congress for them to change it back over to residential. That was a pain when I switched back to residential. Just be aware.

I never had an outage when I had business service, but I've had one since being a residential customer. A tap died at the pole outside my house and they fixed it within two hours. I was the only customer affected. Not sure it would be any better if I was a business customer.

If you want reliability, I'd do as you said and use LTE as backup. You do have to pick one based on coverage of your area though, and consider the fact that when your cable is down everyone in your neighborhood will be down and use their LTE phone. You do not want a cheap MVNO network that got deprioritized when this happen.

Reactions: Y_K
To use your own modem you will have to call them with the MAC of your modem. Residential will bounce a new modem to a self-provisioning page, this does not exist for business.

If their modem is free you may as well use it, but have them turn off the extra wifi. I think they will roll a truck to your location if it is their modem and it breaks.

Neighbor has Comcast Buskness upper tier. Outages last under a few hours at my home vs days other places in town due to priority for his tier. I benefit.

Back