Combination disabled and electric car parking

Status
Not open for further replies.
Saw a couple of spaces at a Target store. Both were marked as disabled parking, but also with electric vehicle parking on the same post in front of each space. There was a single Chargepoint charging connector in front of these spaces right on the extension of the line between the spaces.

I'm not quite sure what to make of it. It was the only electric car charging station at this lot. I'm not sure if California law covers this. I can speak from experience that local parking control can be eager to bust drivers for parking in disabled parking spaces. I could imagine that it causes confusion.

I did find a document that recommended that there be a certain proportion of accessible charging stations, but that they should be available for all plug-in vehicles and not specifically marked with disabled parking signage.

Quote:
http://opr.ca.gov/docs/PEV_Access_Guidelines.pdf

EVG-250 Electric Vehicle Charging Stations
ADVISORY: EVG-250.1 General. While there is no positive requirement to provide electric vehicle charging stations, when they are provided a portion of them should be accessible. When co-located with parking spaces, electric vehicle charging is considered the primary function of these stations, not parking. Accessible electric vehicle charging stations are not to be reserved exclusively for the use of persons with disabilities. They should not be identified with signage that would mistakenly indicate their use is only for vehicles with placards or license plates for individuals with disabilities.

It's like Larry David catching flack for using a handicapped stall in the bathroom.
wink.gif

I'm gonna catch flack for this, but,it's no different than co-marking spaces for handicapped/ expectant mother parking.

Originally Posted By: earlyre
I'm gonna catch flack for this, but,it's no different than co-marking spaces for handicapped/ expectant mother parking.
I can't stand those expectant mother's parking spots. If you're too pregnant to walk 20 more feet in the parking lot you shouldn't be walking around a 60,000 square foot store.

I also park in the parking spots that say "hybrid parking only"

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
Originally Posted By: earlyre
I can't stand those expectant mother's parking spots. If you're too pregnant to walk 20 more feet in the parking lot you shouldn't be walking around a 60,000 square foot store.

I also park in the parking spots that say "hybrid parking only"

That's not really enforceable unless the store security decides to call in a tow truck. It's also about as enforceable as a "low emissions vehicle" space. My wife's Civic has an ULEV sticker on the window, so I guess that qualifies.

However, this is just begging for someone to get ticketed because they see this thing and decide to charge a car without a disabled placard/plate. It's a bad idea all-around.

I might have been incorrect about this being the only charging station at this parking lot. I looked it up and there are several, but I guess they're spread out. This was the only one I noticed. Still - it's free for the first two hours, and I suppose Target is subsidizing it.

I like the parking spaces out in the open marked "van accessible." Yeah I suppose since they aren't in a garage, go for it!

But you must buy this updated sign to be compliant, blah blah.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back