Colt in trouble.....again

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: skyactiv
Get a new Colt Cobra while you can.

For a shooter I would rather spend and get a vintage Detective Special. If they kill the new Cobra model, it would have been in production for such a short time that replacement parts would be scarce.

For a collector though, yeah it could end up being a good piece.

Last edited:

yeah, no. It was reported that one sample at SHOT locked up after half a day and taken off the firing line.

Originally Posted By: AZjeff
Originally Posted By: billt460
Buying a new production, first year gun from Colt at this point does not seem like a wise decision.

Not so bad if you don't plan to shoot it.

Kind of like owning a Colt Z40 or All American 2000.

Neat oddball pieces for a collection, but that is about it.

Originally Posted By: Robenstein

For a shooter I would rather spend and get a vintage Detective Special. If they kill the new Cobra model, it would have been in production for such a short time that replacement parts would be scarce.

For a collector though, yeah it could end up being a good piece.

And at this point, I'd say you'd be better off with a V-spring action than anything else.

Although they are a lot more touchy, the wear parts(the hand and cylinder stop) CAN be made by a competent gunsmith if you can't find a blank. Contrast that with the later Trooper Mk III/Mk V series and the coil-spring Detective special and related guns. It's my understanding that the frame mounted firing pin on those can ONLY be replaced by the factory(I don't think the same is true of the I frame, frame mounted pins of the 3-5-7, Trooper 357, and Python).

Last edited:
If you're looking for a small revolver for concealed carry, and or home defense, your best bet at this point is something from Ruger. Their revolvers have a proven track record for ruggedness and reliability. They are priced affordably, and they are available in most any caliber, size, finish, and barrel length you could possibly want. It would make a far better choice than taking a chance on a new gun from a company that is currently looking for a way to stay financially afloat. Ruger is one of the most profitable, and financially sound gun companies on the planet. And has been for decades.

I have to say there new revolver had me very interested at its price point. However it is a good idea to wait a year or more to buy anything new in the gun market. There are always changes/fixes.
I will second the Ruger revolver remarks, they have something for everyone and no external lock!

Colt.... they crack me up. If they had half a marketing dept they wouldn't be in this mess... again....

They should've revived their Revolver line YEARS ago, they woulda made a killing. Lotsa guys out there will buy something will a little pony on the side just because it's there.

Originally Posted By: JDM396
Colt.... they crack me up. If they had half a marketing dept they wouldn't be in this mess... again....

They should've revived their Revolver line YEARS ago, they woulda made a killing. Lotsa guys out there will buy something will a little pony on the side just because it's there.

Sadly Colt is the prime example of how to not run a gun company. They are the sears of the firearms world. And it is a shame.

They put LGEN William Keys in charge...while a fine and brave Marine...it's clear that running a company wasn't his strong suit...

Yes, a lot of folks like the craftsmanship that comes with that "little pony" especially since it also means top-notch metallurgy in the frame that doesn't have to be oversized for the caliber like one other popular revolver maker.

I will also pay for a v-spring action...build it and they will come(it's not just me who feels that way).

Originally Posted By: bunnspecial

Yes, a lot of folks like the craftsmanship that comes with that "little pony" especially since it also means top-notch metallurgy in the frame that doesn't have to be oversized for the caliber like one other popular revolver maker.

I will also pay for a v-spring action...build it and they will come(it's not just me who feels that way).

Most Colt Revolvers I have seen were hardly ever shot, can't speak for their durability. In terms of other revolver's oversized frames, if you mean Ruger then that would be a losing prospect if you're talking durability IMO.

I will say that their ARs are nice, but nothing special. Their 1911s are great, nostalgic looking guns but way overpriced. They are also late in the game as you have to spend DW money to get one with some halfway decent features and DW blows them out of the water in fit and finish.

Most Colt Revolvers I have seen were hardly ever shot, can't speak for their durability. In terms of other revolver's oversized frames, if you mean Ruger then that would be a losing prospect if you're talking durability IMO.

I will say that their ARs are nice, but nothing special. Their 1911s are great, nostalgic looking guns but way overpriced. They are also late in the game as you have to spend DW money to get one with some halfway decent features and DW blows them out of the water in fit and finish.

By contrast, I have seen and owned V-springs that had the absolute snot shot out of them. This often isn't the case for the "snake" guns, but move to the lower tier(and more affordable ones) and it is. The action takes a bit of fine-tuning to keep it running well, but to me it's a conceptually simple and elegant action and even fabricating parts is not that difficult.

I need to locate some of the bursting pressure tests I've read, but I've seen comparisons of bursting pressure on a Colt Anaconda, S&W 629, and Ruger Redhawk all in 44 Mag. The Anaconda held the highest pressure, followed pretty closely by the 29 and then the Redhawk. "Big" doesn't automatically mean durable.

I have a lot of Ruger revolvers, mostly because they will make guns in chamberings/platforms that I want and no one else will tackle. Ruger has improved their out-of-the-box lockwork finish a lot in recent years, but it doesn't make up for the fact that I find the basic Ruger double action inherently unnatural to shoot with its all-over-the-map trigger pull. By contrast, V-spring Colts and pre-MIM S&Ws to me are works of art, both in terms of finish and in quality of the action.

The .454 Casull generates 65,000 P.S.I. It is generally considered the highest pressure cartridge ever put into a revolver. The only commercial revolvers made for it is Ruger in it's Super Redhawk, and BFR, who's frames are all but identical to the Ruger Super Blackhawk frames. Freedom Arms also makes one, but are more of a low volume, high grade custom manufacturer. Taurus also makes their Raging Bull in .454. But S&W and Colt have never, and will never produce one, because they do not produce a standard large frame that could withstand the pressure. Other than S&W's X-Frame, which is specialized, gigantic monstrosity. The .454 Casull has been around since the early 70's.

Originally Posted By: Robenstein

Sadly Colt is the prime example of how to not run a gun company. They are the sears of the firearms world. And it is a shame.

I think you meant to say K-Mart. For K-Mart bought Sears around 12-13 years ago.

By contrast, I have seen and owned V-springs that had the absolute snot shot out of them. This often isn't the case for the "snake" guns, but move to the lower tier(and more affordable ones) and it is. The action takes a bit of fine-tuning to keep it running well, but to me it's a conceptually simple and elegant action and even fabricating parts is not that difficult.

I need to locate some of the bursting pressure tests I've read, but I've seen comparisons of bursting pressure on a Colt Anaconda, S&W 629, and Ruger Redhawk all in 44 Mag. The Anaconda held the highest pressure, followed pretty closely by the 29 and then the Redhawk. "Big" doesn't automatically mean durable.

I have a lot of Ruger revolvers, mostly because they will make guns in chamberings/platforms that I want and no one else will tackle. Ruger has improved their out-of-the-box lockwork finish a lot in recent years, but it doesn't make up for the fact that I find the basic Ruger double action inherently unnatural to shoot with its all-over-the-map trigger pull. By contrast, V-spring Colts and pre-MIM S&Ws to me are works of art, both in terms of finish and in quality of the action.

Meh, talking about fine tuning and fabricating parts doesn't bode well for a durable argument either. From what I've seen Colts are generally for collectors and Rugers and S&W are for those that like to shoot. Pressure tests don't mean much in the real world, granted most Rugers need to be smoothed out, but their durability is second to none. Granted the action on a Colt is very nice, when it's in time that is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back