Colt 1911 .45 ACP Model O *COMPETITION SERIES 80*

Saw this on consignment at my local gun store/range for $1,800. Never been fired. However, it is an older Series 80 vs Series 70. Cannot find details online. Anyone have any details?

Picture for reference. Didn't take picture of it, but looks like this.

colt-competition-pistol-1911-review-1.jpg

Appreciate it.

Out of business? Really?

I paid under $800 for my Colt Competition model a few years ago. This seems expensive…
I'm seeing the new series 70s around that price. This is model 0, series 80. Maybe more of a collector's piece? Unfamiliar with series 80 other than negative stuff I've heard. Doesn't look like a super good price.

I am not an expert, but I own a few Colt Series 70s and one Series 80 (Commander). As far as I can tell, the major difference is the Series 80 has the addition of a trigger safety. The impact of this is it's a little more complicated to remove and replace the extractor when cleaning.

With all the other safety features on the traditional 1911 I suspect purists scorn the safety overkill on the Series 80. Following this thread, I will be very suprised if it turns out an equivalent Series 80 is worth more than a Series 70 as a collector's piece.

If you are looking for a shooter, I'd keep looking. No sense in paying the NIB premium for something you are going to use.

Ok, I called the store as I didn't take a picture like I usually do.

It is about 6-7 years old, never been shot, NRA special addition model 0 competitive National match. Has a special NRA serial number. $1,825.

Will have to think about it.

Out of business? Really?

I paid under $800 for my Colt Competition model a few years ago. This seems expensive…
Here's what I was thinking about, but it's just a merger:

Published 05/24/2021

Colt Announces Closing of Acquisition by CZG​

West Hartford, CT, May 24, 2021 – Colt Holding Company LLC (“Colt”) announced today that CZG – Česká zbrojovka Group SE (“CZG” or “the Group”; PSE: CZG), having secured all necessary regulatory approvals from the U.S. and Canadian authorities, has successfully closed its acquisition of 100% of the equity interest in Colt, the parent company of the U.S. firearms manufacturer, Colt’s Manufacturing Company LLC as well as its Canadian subsidiary, Colt Canada Corporation.
CZG and Colt are confident that the merger will bring significant operational, commercial, and R&D synergies for the combined business, which generated pro-forma aggregated annual sales in excess of USD 570 million in 2020 and which has more than 2,000 employees in the Czech Republic, the United States, Canada and Germany.
“With this acquisition, we have created a strategic relationship between CZG and Colt, which will bring significant opportunities for the group. We will focus on continuing to provide high quality products to our customers in a seamless manner as we harness the many synergies generated by this acquisition. We are confident that this combination will create value for our customers and shareholders alike and strengthen these iconic brands,” stated Lubomír Kovařík, Chairman and President of CZG. “This merger also confirms our commitment to the North American market which is an integral part of our growth strategy,” he added.
Thanks to this acquisition, CZG gains further production capacity and positions itself to become a leading firearms manufacturer and a key partner globally for military, law enforcement and commercial customers.
“Colt is pleased to join forces with CZG. We are proud of our heritage and believe that the strength of the combined businesses and the many synergies created by the merger will enable us to honor our roots while also securing the future of the Colt brand. We look forward to continuing to deliver our high- quality products while also investing in innovation and new product offerings in the near future. We believe in the successful connection of our corporate cultures, the proven track record of our teams and the complementary nature of the CZ and Colt brands,” stated Dennis Veilleux, President and CEO of Colt.

# # #

About CZG - Česká zbrojovka Group SE
CZG – Česká zbrojovka Group (CZG), together with its subsidiaries, is one of the leading European producers of firearms for military and law enforcement, personal defense, hunting, sport shooting and other commercial use. CZG markets and sells its products mainly under the CZ (Česká zbrojovka), CZ-USA, Dan Wesson, Brno Rifles and 4M Systems brands. CZG’s subsidiaries include Česká zbrojovka, CZ-USA, 4M Systems and CZ Export Praha. CZG owns a minority stake in Spuhr i Dalby, a Swedish manufacturer of optical mounting solutions for weapons.
CZG is headquartered in the Czech Republic. It has production facilities in the Czech Republic and in the United States and employs around 1,670 people in the Czech Republic, the United States and Germany.

About Colt
Colt is one of the world’s leading designers, developers, and manufacturers of firearms. It has supplied commercial, military and law enforcement customers in the U.S. and throughout the world for over 175 years.
Colt is a supplier to the U.S. military, the exclusive supplier to the Canadian military and it also supplies its products to other armed forces around the world. Colt firearms enjoy a reputation throughout the world for accuracy, reliability and quality. Colt pistols and revolvers are carried by military and law enforcement personnel in numerous countries and are used by hunters and sportsmen and sportswomen worldwide. Colt commercial, sporting, military and law enforcement rifles enjoy similar renown.

Probably a move to escape liability.

Colt has changed hands more times than we change our socks. This is yet another one of those changes. CZ appears to be a good solid company that seems to be prepared to take Colt out of trouble, and get them producing guns....... Again. We'll see.

As far as the gun, it most certainly is a nice piece. But the price seems a little steep. Depending on how badly you want it, I would try to negotiate a bit if possible. But even at that price, over time you'll make out fine. It's pretty hard to go wrong with a Colt 1911 of any kind.

I have a Dan Wesson [CZ] 1911 and it is like a Wilson combat [which I have] with regards to quality and fit and shoots great. I have a 1972 Colt Gold Cup close to mint for being a shooter and it is not much more accurate that my WW II dated 1911 with a Colt lower and an Ithaca slide . CZ is the new Colt owner I would guess that the Colt 1911 is now as nice as my Dan Wesson 1911. The nicest shooting 1911 type I ever shot was a friends competition built para ordnance frame in 40 S@W and I don't know the slide but it shoots incredible. I like 1911s.

Last edited:
Saw this on consignment at my local gun store/range for $1,800. Never been fired. However, it is an older Series 80 vs Series 70. Cannot find details online. Anyone have any details?

Picture for reference. Didn't take picture of it, but looks like this.

View attachment 112200

Appreciate it.
Saw exactly the same one in 9mm over 10 years ago and it was 1000.00 from Cabela's.

Back