Colorado updated traction law for I-70 and messes it up

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by UG_Passat
Originally Posted by SubLGT
How's the weather in Colorado?

A big snow storm is supposed to hit the Denver area soon.

Really LOL how's that Glo Bull Warming going!

Originally Posted by JohnnyJohnson

My 3 year old understands difference between climate and weather. You need to catch up.

I have 3ft drift in driveway. Flying tonight from DIA to Las Vegas.

Originally Posted by paoester
Fun for polar bears anyway. Can't believe this is Fall weather.

How long you are here? As September hits CO, anything is possible. I was skiing in CO in June on fresh powder.

End of November. Colorado. Guess no one expected that.
21.gif

Originally Posted by atikovi

End of November. Colorado. Guess no one expected that.
21.gif

You should see my neighborhood Facebook page. 4 days after snow storm, 3 days of 50's weather, people still asking how are the roads. They cancelled schools 7th time this year bcs. law suits. My wife who is from Chicago is observing this in astonishment.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by edyvw
How long you are here?
I'm staying for another day.
Although, you might be asking me "how long have I lived in CO", maybe?? --- 20 years here. I'm from Missouri, where my relatives go back 210 years, similar weather.
I think you said you were from Asia, where its warm?
A lot of new people to CO think that the recent Oct and Nov snow we're getting here in 2019 is "normal". It's not. And the mountains are higher and colder, snowier every year than Denver.
Not quite normal for the Denver area.
Oct. was the snowiest in 10 years. https://denver.cbslocal.com/2019/10...oot-now-12th-snowiest-october-on-record/
Nov. is shaping up to be snowier than normal too.

All this snow in the mountains is getting me amped up for the ski season.

Did a hot-scrape and wax (with the toxic to the environment Flurocarbon wax) over the weekend

Originally Posted by paoester
How long you are here?
I'm staying for another day.
Although, you might be asking me "how long have I lived in CO", maybe?? --- 20 years here. I'm from Missouri, where my relatives go back 210 years, similar weather.
I think you said you were from Asia, where its warm?
A lot of new people to CO think that the recent Oct and Nov snow we're getting here in 2019 is "normal". It's not. And the mountains are higher and colder, snowier every year than Denver.
Not quite normal for the Denver area.
Oct. was the snowiest in 10 years. https://denver.cbslocal.com/2019/10...oot-now-12th-snowiest-october-on-record/
Nov. is shaping up to be snowier than normal too.

No, I am not from Asia, and this kind of snow is normal. It did shift pattern a bit. Mountains are dry! At this time A-Basin should have 30-50in base. It barely cross 20in, and conditions are not yet powder. It was dry November in Summit County, and December is usually one that is dry. That means, if december is normal, we might have very bad ski season and with that tourist season.
Also, 10yr average does not mean anything at this time. It is beginning of the season.
Also, 210 years of residence in MO does not have anything to do with this.

Last edited:

Did a hot-scrape and wax (with the toxic to the environment Flurocarbon wax) over the weekend

Actually mountains are drier than normal. It seems that this year Front range is getting snow that is usually reserved for mountains at this time of the year. December is usually very dry in mountains here. So if december is average, we are looking at really bad ski season.

Actually mountains are drier than normal. It seems that this year Front range is getting snow that is usually reserved for mountains at this time of the year. December is usually very dry in mountains here. So if december is average, we are looking at really bad ski season.

California is getting some good snow.. mostly tracking mammoth, since that's the mountain I visit most often.

I hope Snowbird gets some good snow, since I'll be there at the end of January, to use the Ikon Pass

California is getting some good snow.. mostly tracking mammoth, since that's the mountain I visit most often.

I hope Snowbird gets some good snow, since I'll be there at the end of January, to use the Ikon Pass

I know Tahoe was dry like a rock two weeks ago.
We had early start with two major storms in Oct. But after that snow mostly moved to the Front Range. Last night we got around 10in, with some 3ft drifts, while A-Basin that always has good snow got 2in.

At this time A-Basin should have 30-50in base.

Reminds me the first time I went snowshoeing, it was on RMNP and I stuck my entire walking pole in the snow and still couldn't hit dirt!

Originally Posted by Pew
At this time A-Basin should have 30-50in base.

Reminds me the first time I went snowshoeing, it was on RMNP and I stuck my entire walking pole in the snow and still couldn't hit dirt!

IN RMNP you can do that at the top sometimes in the middle of the summer.
Last year at this time at A-Basin I was skiing in knee deep powder. This year it looks really thin.

It's fall.

It's Colorado.

It snows.

This isn't new...

October 25, 1997, the day after I moved to Colorado, Denver got 3 FEET of snow...

Originally Posted by Astro14
It's fall.

It's Colorado.

It snows.

This isn't new...

October 25, 1997, the day after I moved to Colorado, Denver got 3 FEET of snow...

I think that spring Ft. Carson had to dispatch Hummers and national guard had to use snow cats in Colorado Springs as they were only one capable to go through snow.

Originally Posted by c502cid
And to get off I-70 in a winter storm and get on US-285 or CO-9 or US-24 to get to the mountains, especially if you aren't from the area is the absolute worst piece of advice I've ever seen in my time on this website. Are you on crack?

That's exactly what I was thinking! Getting off I-70 and traveling the state / US highways in a snowstorm is not for the faint of heart! At least I-70 is well lit, well signed, well traveled and well maintained. If you happen to get stuck or stranded you have much better odds of getting help reasonably quickly than if you're stuck on US-50.

Originally Posted by Astro14
It's fall.

It's Colorado.

It snows.

This isn't new...

THAT'S the storm I was trying to remember with all this nonsense about how "weird" it is to have this much snow in October. That storm was a monster.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back