Color of Virgin Oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
depends on aditive system used ALL base oils now days that are good quality as in GPII etc are clear/amber color at most if not "water white"
bruce

Then there's the Brad Penn racing oil I use in my Harley:

BP01.jpg

BP02.jpg

Quote:

Why is virgin 2-cycle oils always dark brown/black in color?

It's not. The Chevron 2-cycle oil I used in my Yamaha 350 back in the mid 70s was red like ATF, maybe just a little darker red.

G-MAN - How do you like that Brad Penn stuff? I saw it for sale at a local store here for $5.69 a quart, I could get it in 5W-30 for my Integra, but I can't find any good information on it. Tried searching but you know how the search system here works
laugh.gif

Quote:

2 cycle oils are dyed so you can tell if the oil is actually mixed with the gas. If the oil was clear/honey colored you could never tell mix from straight gas and your 2 strokes could suffer as a result.

Quote:

G-MAN - How do you like that Brad Penn stuff? I saw it for sale at a local store here for $5.69 a quart, I could get it in 5W-30 for my Integra, but I can't find any good information on it. Tried searching but you know how the search system here works
laugh.gif

That price is too high. I'm using the racing oil (Penn Grade 1, only available in 0w30, 10w30, 20w50, 30, 50, and 70). It's more expensive than the regular Brad Penn stuff and I didn't pay that much per quart even factoring in the shipping costs.

Quote:

2 cycle has a high amount of detergents or dispersants depending on 2 cycle opil type as in ashless or ash type and most of them are very dark brown/black in color
bruce

2 stroke oil is colored to help you determine if any fuel is mixed or not [in addition to any additives].
I had friend who used to drive semis, and he said that he would deliver tankers filled with creosote to the oil refineries to be used to color the oil. This was about 15-20 years ago.
Anti freeze was green, oil was brown, and ATF was red [back then].

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back