Collision Mitigation System!??

More and more newer cars on the roads, those optioned with the drivers assist system, specifically when comes down to sudden stop, are getting involved in accidents on the road that I've witnessed lately

what causes this and how can it be; are the manufactures selling us technology that does not work or what, while consumer is paying premium prices for them $$$

my '17 Accord have theses features, although they are hyper at times, once it saved me from a moderate collision not a long ago

what's the community's take?

More and more newer cars on the roads, those optioned with the drivers assist system, specifically when comes down to sudden stop, are getting involved in accidents on the road that I've witnessed lately

what causes this and how can it be; are the manufactures selling us technology that does not work or what, while consumer is paying premium prices for them $$$

my '17 Accord have theses features, although they are hyper at times, once it saved me from a moderate collision not a long ago

It's not really true, but the opposite is true—they save you from getting into an accident.

Technology will keep advancing toward full self-driving. I also welcome the recent initiative for automatic GPS-based speed limits on all new cars, preventing any car from driving even 1 mph above the speed limit. I've been wanting this for many years, as I'm sick of people driving 85, 95, 100+ mph, especially with their pickups and SUVs, in 65-mph zones and flooring it on residential streets.

How are you observing this information?
i've seen them on many occasions here and there; i'm not saying its that common but when you see them just a few on the road or the parking lot or to collision centers it makes you wonder :unsure:

so my question: how it can be?

toyota-highlander-2016-5tdykrfh3gs183187-img1.jpg

yet, are we paying for technologies that do not work :oops:

It's not really true, but the opposite is true—they save you from getting into an accident.

Technology will keep advancing toward full self-driving. I also welcome the recent initiative for automatic GPS-based speed limits on all new cars, preventing any car from driving even 1 mph above the speed limit. I've been wanting this for many years, as I'm sick of people driving 85, 95, 100+ mph, especially with their pickups and SUVs, in 65-mph zones and flooring it on residential streets.
That‘ll be a BIG hit with the big $ performance vehicle crowd! There‘s ZERO chance of that ever happening, no Porsche, BMW, or any exotic vehicle is going to be sold with that-might as well drive a beige base model econobox. How about starting with disabling any cellphone data above 5 MPH, and disabling non-hands free calls? Those are far more dangerous than someone driving 1 MPH over an arbitrary, lowest common denominator speed limit.

They are not touted as something that is going to prevent all accidents, just a preventative for certain common scenarios. If a car pulls out in front of you and you are about to t-bone them in an intersection do you expect your car to stop in 5 feet? If a car crosses into oncoming traffic how do you expect it to intervene there?

That‘ll be a BIG hit with the big $ performance vehicle crowd! There‘s ZERO chance of that ever happening, no Porsche, BMW, or any exotic vehicle is going to be sold with that-might as well drive a beige base model econobox. How about starting with disabling any cellphone data above 5 MPH, and disabling non-hands free calls? Those are far more dangerous than someone driving 1 MPH over an arbitrary, lowest common denominator speed limit.
not going to happen data = steaming music for many.

My Tesla does quite a bit of anticipatory braking. In my opinion it overreacts. On at least a dozen occasions it has braked for a car crossing my path when there was no danger and I wouldn't have even slowed down. On a fine point of information, I can't be certain that the car actually "brakes" (ie engages the brake system) because lifting off the accelerator produces the same effect as moderate braking. I understand that lifting off the accelerator even shows brake lights.

The braking is a nuisance but the worry is being rear ended.

On our long trip this summer we had a problem one day with phantom braking which I think was related to waving grass at the side of the road. The apron was fairly narrow and there was tall grass right up the edge. A wicked cross wind (40 - 50 MPH) made that tall grass wave like crazy. Mercifully that only happened one day and I could avoid the problem completely by not using the cruise control.

They are not touted as something that is going to prevent all accidents, just a preventative for certain common scenarios. If a car pulls out in front of you and you are about to t-bone them in an intersection do you expect your car to stop in 5 feet? If a car crosses into oncoming traffic how do you expect it to intervene there?
You would think that out of all driver assist features available on a car, they would nail the collision mitigation the first and the best, by using a camera, a radar or whatever that is available to do it’s job, but apparently everything has its flaws and downsides unless you’re watching their advertisement

A few thoughts. They don't take into account the road conditions - ie wet. They can't anticipate someone cutting in front of you or running a light. If the guy ahead plows into someone and stops almost instantly you have no chance - etc. More and more people are driving far more aggressively or distracted. At the end of the day there driving assist - not a guarantee.

I'm sick of people driving 85, 95, 100+ mph, especially with their pickups and SUVs, in 65-mph zones and flooring it on residential streets.
There is a great video on YouTube where some people - I think University of GA or something, got together and drove side by side at the speed limit on the outer loop in Atlanta during rush hour. Pretty much shut traffic down in the rest of the city. So isn't going to happen unless places like Atlanta want to build 4 more lanes on every road.

I don't disagree with your analysis on residential streets, but if you ever drove the autobahn in Germany you would realize how stupid our fixed interstate speed limits are.

There is a great video on YouTube where some people - I think University of GA or something, got together and drove side by side at the speed limit on the outer loop in Atlanta during rush hour. Pretty much shut traffic down in the rest of the city. So isn't going to happen unless places like Atlanta want to build 4 more lanes on every road.

I don't disagree with your analysis on residential streets, but if you ever drove the autobahn in Germany you would realize how stupid our fixed interstate speed limits are.
Speed and reckless driving, consequently accidents are though the roof post pandemic. That's a fact. I can't realize how stupid it would be to have our highways like the autobahn. The driving culture is totally different here than in Germany-you should know that based on your statements.

Speed and reckless driving, consequently accidents are though the roof post pandemic. That's a fact. I can't realize how stupid it would be to have our highways like the autobahn. The driving culture is totally different here than in Germany-you should know that based on your statements.
So it makes sense to have the same speed on an interstate irrespective of weather, traffic, time of day, etc?

As for the "driving culture" that isn't the roads fault. I have seen far more interstate accidents caused by left lane bandits than anything else - and I spend a lot of time on busy interstates.

That's a silly stunt by those college students. They were probably driving 50 mph. I don't remember the speed limit being 55 mph on I-285 when I lived there in the late 1990s.

The stunt doesn't mean anything. If there is actual traffic, you won't even be able to drive 35 mph, let alone 50 mph.

I should also mention that the fuel consumption increases with the square of the speed. So, if yo drive 85 mph instead of 55 mph, your cost of gas or electric fuel increases by 55%—something to think about these days with high energy prices unless you have deep pockets.

So it makes sense to have the same speed on an interstate irrespective of weather, traffic, time of day, etc?

As for the "driving culture" that isn't the roads fault. I have seen far more interstate accidents caused by left lane bandits than anything else - and I spend a lot of time on busy interstates.
I spent a million miles on the So Cal freeways-so (have mentioned this more than once)..........we are even.

Back