Collision Mitigation System!??

That's a silly stunt by those college students. They were probably driving 50 mph. I don't remember the speed limit being 55 mph on I-285 when I lived there in the late 1990s.

The stunt doesn't mean anything. If there is actual traffic, you won't even be able to drive 35 mph, let alone 50 mph.

I should also mention that the fuel consumption increases with the square of the speed. So, if yo drive 85 mph instead of 55 mph, your cost of gas or electric fuel increases by 55%—something to think about these days with high energy prices unless you have deep pockets.

Not recommended in Texas … 👀

I have the collision systems on all vehicles … modern safety features are important to me …

That's a silly stunt by those college students. They were probably driving 50 mph. I don't remember the speed limit being 55 mph on I-285 when I lived there in the late 1990s.

The stunt doesn't mean anything. If there is actual traffic, you won't even be able to drive 35 mph, let alone 50 mph.

I should also mention that the fuel consumption increases with the square of the speed. So, if yo drive 85 mph instead of 55 mph, your cost of gas or electric fuel increases by 55%—something to think about these days with high energy prices unless you have deep pockets.

The speed limit on the perimeter of Atlanta was most certainly 55MPH - parts went up to 65mph in 2013 - the vid was done in 2007. I think there might be a small part in the SW corner that is still 55 but I am sure someone from the area will comment. https://www.wabe.org/i-285-southside-speed-limit-increases-65-mph/

You would think that out of all driver assist features available on a car, they would nail the collision mitigation the first and the best, by using a camera, a radar or whatever that is available to do it’s job, but apparently everything has its flaws and downsides unless you’re watching their advertisement

Mine uses sonar.

It's turned off now in my '20 Traverse after it activated at 10 mph on a one lane dirt back road on a clear sunny, dry day after it detected the invisible man crossing the road. Still get the audible and warning lights though.
Glad I wasn't coming home with a pizza on the seat.

To add in, I do hope they start regulating the marketing and variety of ADAS systems on vehicles.

Tesla markets their ADAS as AUTOPILOT, and while logic and sense would RTFM and understand its not Full Self Driving, most folks dont.
ADAS comes in various flavors, Lexus has High Speed Cruise Control in select models, while others have Dynamic Radar Cruise Control...and folks again dont RTFM and think they are the same...one works from 30mph while others work from 0.

ADAS words should be simple. Active Lane Assist or Passive Lane Alert
30MPH+ cruise control vs 0mph+cruise control

I have the latest generation of that stuff on my '22 Forester. Subaru has one of the best. It "recognizes" things like humans, bicycles, cars. But it actually may not recognize other things, I believe, in an effort to avoid false breaking situations. It specifically indicates that in the event that a vehicle in front slams on the brakes it may not stop in time. In adaptive cruise control however it probably will. When a guy in front of me hit the brakes it was breaking as soon as the brake lights went on. Far quicker than I would react.

These "nanny features" are amazing. I am not just talking subaru. Subaru uses stereo cameras.

It's not really true, but the opposite is true—they save you from getting into an accident.

Technology will keep advancing toward full self-driving. I also welcome the recent initiative for automatic GPS-based speed limits on all new cars, preventing any car from driving even 1 mph above the speed limit. I've been wanting this for many years, as I'm sick of people driving 85, 95, 100+ mph, especially with their pickups and SUVs, in 65-mph zones and flooring it on residential streets.
Well that’s no fun

I have the latest generation of that stuff on my '22 Forester. Subaru has one of the best. It "recognizes" things like humans, bicycles, cars. But it actually may not recognize other things, I believe, in an effort to avoid false breaking situations. It specifically indicates that in the event that a vehicle in front slams on the brakes it may not stop in time. In adaptive cruise control however it probably will. When a guy in front of me hit the brakes it was breaking as soon as the brake lights went on. Far quicker than I would react.

These "nanny features" are amazing. I am not just talking subaru. Subaru uses stereo cameras.
The Subaru system is the least intrusive of the systems IMO. Toyota Safety Sense/Lexus Safety System also does a decent job of staying out the way until you need it. Mercedes Pre-Safe makes itself known. The worst is GM’s system. Driving in LA gridlock in a rental Equinox got it to trigger just in the flow of traffic.

I find the one in the Toyota isn't too intrusive. Subaru has been the same result. I did turn the lane departure warning off on both of them. The one in the Subaru is really annoying. If I'm coming in a little hot and the garage door is still opening the Subaru will give me an obstacle detected warning. Also will warn me I'm about to hit my toolboxes if I'm going a little too fast too.

There's been a couple times the one in the Toyota caught my attention pretty good. Line of traffic was slowing down and apparently it didn't like my approach, but all it did was yell at me. Another time I had a green and a car turned on the red in front of me. That was a pretty jarring stop!

We have the Toyota Safety Sensing 2.0 and it has adjustments for how early it will warn you. I doubt it changes the actual end performance about stopping but at its most sensitive it will beep at you early - possibly preventing the need for it to brake I suppose. Its only beeped at me once when someone cut me off. My wife and daughter who drive it regularly tells me it beeps at her on occasion. I presume if you didn't want the beep you could dial it to its least sensitive setting.

I am quite happy we have it, because 2 heads are better than one, even if one is a computer. I think the problem is people rely on them, in which case your back to just the computer. Look at the Tesla people found asleep or in the back seat while on auto pilot.

I drove a '21 civic with all that garbage on it, I found it irritating, I wouldn't pay extra for the options but could purchase a vehicle if I could deactivate it. I firmly believe that people who NEED it to drive- shouldn't be driving.

I drove a '21 civic with all that garbage on it, I found it irritating, I wouldn't pay extra for the options but could purchase a vehicle if I could deactivate it. I firmly believe that people who NEED it to drive- shouldn't be driving.
Here we with the worn out "no one drives as good as I" :rolleyes::rolleyes:
Hint you are firmly wrong. After 60 years of driving one minor fender bender that was my fault 35 years ago. I would guess I am as good as you and I have difficulty understanding why some folks feel like you.:unsure:

I find the one in the Toyota isn't too intrusive. Subaru has been the same result. I did turn the lane departure warning off on both of them. The one in the Subaru is really annoying. If I'm coming in a little hot and the garage door is still opening the Subaru will give me an obstacle detected warning. Also will warn me I'm about to hit my toolboxes if I'm going a little too fast too.
on the subaru if your foot is on the brake you get a beep if its not you get emergency braking.
I've set it off with my garage door 3 times at 2-3mph.

Example
Enter drive, start garage door openingwhen its 2/3 open well above hood take foot off brake.. go about 2 foot BEEEP Brake grinding noise.. immediate halt.

The car wouldnt have hit the garage door because it only takes an additional 2s to fully open.

Not saying its a system fault.. I need to adjust what I do.

ADAS systems that are on the market today believe the same thing, driver aides not replacements.

Mine uses sonar.
i've witnessed Mazda CX5, the same model you're having and it was involved in the accident on the Interstate in my area

I've seen a Volvo too

How is it possible, don't ask me!

i've witnessed Mazda CX5, the same model you're having and it was involved in the accident on the Interstate in my area

I've seen a Volvo too

How is it possible, don't ask me!
Are you sure your system is sonar based? ADAS Park assist systems and Blind Spot monitors use "sonar". Automatic Braking systems usually use a radar system combined with steroscopic cameras. At least openly, Tesla seems to be going the other way with a gamble on computervision.

Are you sure your system is sonar based? ADAS Park assist systems and Blind Spot monitors use "sonar". Automatic Braking systems usually use a radar system combined with steroscopic cameras. At least openly, Tesla seems to be going the other way with a gamble on computervision.

Let me check the owners manual.

🕰️

Okay. It’s handy having the manual on the iPhone. You’re right, it’s radar plus camera. The radar sensors are in the front logo badge. The camera is in front of the rear view mirror.

Back