Collinite beading and reflection

Status
Not open for further replies.

JHZR2

Staff member
For those who say that collinitebeads for a long time, I have to disagree. This is maybe 3 months, look at the hood after a wash:

c365ba55.jpg

506e9df9.jpg

The hood surface shows a flat water surface, sure the sides still bead, but that is typically the case.

Still, for those who say collinite doesnt shine, this is on a fairly flat color (sage green metallic), it sure looks good with 476 and 845:

b338e575.jpg

Pardon the lousy iphone pic compression that photobucket does...

which Collinite product is this?
edit: oh 476 then 845

What do you use for a car wash soap?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: hisilver

What do you use for a car wash soap?

Megs gold class soap today. Sometimes I use einzett or autoglym.

Originally Posted By: dparm
I use 476 on my wheels. Very durable stuff.

Per the pictures, not sure how durable it really is..

My Aerostar beads a lot longer than three months and its black. I used the Eagle One Wax, the blue stuff with a bit of wax in it. I wonder if that makes any difference?

3 months...that's July, August, September. Not sure what those months were like for you, but they were some of the hottest on record in IL. I just wonder if any carnuba can hold up in those temps. When I read about collinite's durability it is often "through the winter" comments.
Maybe it was just the heat??

Everybody's experience will differ with different products. Collinite does have the reputation on every detailing forum that I have visited as the longest lasting wax. Most waxes only last 1-2 months. There are countless testimonies of people applying 2-3 layers of Collinite and it lasting a cruel 6 month winter. Most sealants outlast waxes but don't look as pretty. I currently have Duragloss 501 topped by Collinite 845 and it has lasted 5 months and is beading strongly on both my vehicles. Mind you, Oklahoma just witnessed the hottest July on record in the whole US and our July, August, and September was like the second or third hottest ever in the US. Again, my cars are still beading and they look stunning.
Sometime in November I will clay, compound, polish and then wax both vehicles for the winter months. I do expect the protection to last 6 months.

That's good to know. I've put two coats of Liquid Glass (I know...old school) on my vehicles in the last two weeks. I will add two coats of Collinite 845 over the next two weeks and see how the winter goes. I've never used Collinite before. My cars sit outside all winter and I've never had a sealant/wax make it (still beading) to April 1.

I was very impressed when I used Collinite. I was living in PA and it held up nicely over a winter.

Originally Posted By: lukejo
That's good to know. I've put two coats of Liquid Glass (I know...old school) on my vehicles in the last two weeks. I will add two coats of Collinite 845 over the next two weeks and see how the winter goes. I've never used Collinite before. My cars sit outside all winter and I've never had a sealant/wax make it (still beading) to April 1.

I know that vehicles that sit outside don't bead as long as vehicles that are garaged. Both of my cars are garaged. I have never used liquid glass but it s a sealant. I would assume that you would get at least 4 months of protection and possibly 6. Keep us updated.

I've been using 476 for the last year here in Florida. I've never seen it NOT bead until around the 5-6 month mark.

Just curious.. How did you prep the paint?

That was my question also. If the paint was not prepped properly then the durability of any product (not just Collinite) can be cut in half or less.

I'm with you here JHZR2... for me it's been lasting about a month or two before I think it's pretty much shot.

I have yet to find a wax that beads longer than that and I don't mind waxing once a month, but given the way its spoken about here I was expecting more.

Originally Posted By: cchase
I'm with you here JHZR2... for me it's been lasting about a month or two before I think it's pretty much shot.

I have yet to find a wax that beads longer than that and I don't mind waxing once a month, but given the way its spoken about here I was expecting more.

Lot of rose colored glasses here
lol.gif

You show the hood with only about 25% beading left which proves that the wax is gone...therefore you can't say the wax has a nice reflection when it is gone
smile.gif

Id say it was still reflecting, even when wet and with no wax.

The bottom pic is after reapplying, so I can say the wax has a nice reflection, even though really it is the paint...

But my point with the first two pics was that collinite was not lasting as long as some claim.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Id say it was still reflecting, even when wet and with no wax.

The bottom pic is after reapplying, so I can say the wax has a nice reflection, even though really it is the paint...

But my point with the first two pics was that collinite was not lasting as long as some claim.

I understand what you're saying.

Originally Posted By: cchase

Me neither! We must have the worst acid rain in the world here or something. I've used Zaino,Collinite,NXT,Ultima,etc... and none of them have performed as promised. I tend tp wax once a month or so anyway so it's no biggie,but it's still disappointing.

Meh, tried most of these and none last half as long as NuFinish. They might shine better but nothing is as durable or protects longer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back