Collinite 845 streaking on black?

Status
Not open for further replies.
First time user of 845 today. Two black vehicles, both had received two coats of liquid glass over the last three weeks. Amazing to put on. Shook it well. Was like smearing warm butter on glass. Only needed a little more than a capful for a whole car. Came off easily, but it STREAKED TERRIBLY. It was literally like trying to rub greasy butter off glass with a dry towel. I experimented, wiping some off earlier, letting other spots dry longer. But to no avail. After multiple hand buffings with microfiber, finally the streaks came out and it looks amazing. It was 70 degrees and in the shade. I really think the streaks would have been unnoticeable on any color other than black. Has anyone else experienced this?

I had that happen to me a couple of times. One time I applied too much 845 and the other time I didn't let it haze up long enough. Now I apply 845 w/ my porter cable 7424 and a finishing pad, haven't had any issues since. Those darn black cars, no margin for error. Remember, with 845, the key is to apply it thin, thin, thin!...but it doesn't look like over application was your issue so not too sure why you got the streaking.

Originally Posted By: FastEddie
I had that happen to me a couple of times. One time I applied too much 845 and the other time I didn't let it haze up long enough. Now I apply 845 w/ my porter cable 7424 and a finishing pad, haven't had any issues since. Those darn black cars, no margin for error. Remember, with 845, the key is to apply it thin, thin, thin!...but it doesn't look like over application was your issue so not too sure why you got the streaking.

Well, maybe I never let it haze up enough. The surface was really cool in the shade. I did apply it thin, but it never hazed to white-ish shade as other waxes I've used. But, I had read that 845 doesn't leave white dust or white on trim, so I thought it was probably dry. I'll try another coat in a week or so if the weather holds.

let it sit longer next time. If you do get streaks, try spraying the car with a quick detailer and microfiber and it should take make the streaks much easier to remove.

Did you strip the finish first or apply it over the previously applied two coats of Liquid Glass? It's very likely the two don't play well together.

Originally Posted By: RTexasF
Did you strip the finish first or apply it over the previously applied two coats of Liquid Glass? It's very likely the two don't play well together.

I think you're right. IIRC Liquid glass takes quite a while to fully cure.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint

No strip. I applied it over the LG. The LG has had at least 10 days to cure...mainly sunny in the 80's, so surely it was cured. What is the "IIRC" ? This is just the regular old LG.
Also,do you mean they don't do well together if the LG isn't cured, or in general? The LG is sealant and 845 a wax, so I thought it was fine to top with? First time I've ever tried it though....

Originally Posted By: lukejo
Originally Posted By: demarpaint

No strip. I applied it over the LG. The LG has had at least 10 days to cure...mainly sunny in the 80's, so surely it was cured. What is the "IIRC" ? This is just the regular old LG.
Also,do you mean they don't do well together if the LG isn't cured, or in general? The LG is sealant and 845 a wax, so I thought it was fine to top with? First time I've ever tried it though....

IIRC= If I Recall/Remember Correctly.

I would email the Liquid Glass people because I think their cure time is very long. I can't swear to it but I remember reading about it. 10 days might not be long enough, to top coat it with a different chemistry.

Ha! I thought it was a new LG or something. You see why many text messages are a foreign language to me..
I just read the LG bottle. "Allow at least 4 hours between coats. When finished, baking in the sun will bond LG to the surface.."
You might be right, but I think the sun we've seen the past couple of weeks (especially heating up the black) would have done the curing.
Oh, well. I'll try/experiement again in a week or so.
Thanks for all the ideas.

I'm about to try 845 for the first time, and the directions say NOT to use on glass. My car has a glass top. Anyone know what the issues might be with using it on glass??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back