Collinite 845 over Meguiars Cleaner Wax

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just want a quick fix for an older used car without claying. Can I do a quick
treatment of Cleaner Wax followed by 845? What kind of shine and durability can I
expect? P.S. It is a 2006 Jetta with good paint. Thank you

It would be better to use a cleaner (no wax) and then Collinite. That way the Collinite will stick to the clean metal and not the other wax.

Originally Posted By: lukejo
It would be better to use a cleaner (no wax) and then Collinite. That way the Collinite will stick to the clean metal and not the other wax.

+1. I would also start off by washing the car with dish soap.

I'm assuming you're doing this by hand. If so the cleaner wax won't be doing much of anything and even using polish by hand would be difficult to accomplish much.

A simple claying and wax would be the best way to approach this. Trying to polish by hand will yield disappointing and uneven results. Claying is definitely easier than hand polishing. Then simply use Collinite 845. A freshly clayed surface will bond to the wax the best. The polishing is simply for looks but if you must polish by hand, Meguiars Ultimate Compound is probably your best bet. But claying should still be done, if there's a step you should skip it would be hand compounding.

If you really want it to look good, the best performing cleaner wax with durability that will improve the looks by hand would be Meguiars Ultimate Wax.

Last edited:
Another vote for taking the time to clay. With the right aio wax after you will love the results.

So far the most aggressive aio I've used is megs professional cleaner wax which is more aggressive than the red bottle. Turned out real nice on the [censored] oldsmobile but doesnt have much durability. Megs Ultimate wax is not a cleaner/aio product but would be great as a lsp or top coat (its my go to wax right now).
Going to try the griots aio sealant next.

If you want to save time, just clay quickly, and spend more time on the horizontal surfaces and less time on the verticals. You don't have to spend hours doing perfect clay.

Originally Posted By: bobbob
I just want a quick fix for an older used car without claying. Can I do a quick
treatment of Cleaner Wax followed by 845? What kind of shine and durability can I
expect? P.S. It is a 2006 Jetta with good paint. Thank you

Contrary to the others, on our '09 JSW we started with a good AIO sealant, followed by Collinite 476 paste. Sort of what you want to do.

The 476 buffed off VERY easily, the results were stunningly good, and the 476 is as durable as Collinite gets.

But if the finish is truly contaminated, a good claying isn't that much extra work and can work wonders.

Just bought a nanoskin auto scrub. I won't go back to clay after using it. About $12 for the fine grade sponge. Used a spray bottle with car wash/water for lubricant. As far as the Collinite 845, the stuff is easy to apply, does not leave white residue on black plastic or vinyl, and easy to buff out. It has no cleaner nor polisher capability so pre clean as stated above.

I've been using Collinite 845 for over a year now and I've been noticing after waxing that if the car is left in the hot sun, the finish seems to develop a cloudy film over it, which detracts from the shine, especially on the hood of the car. Anyone else experience this problem with Collinite 845 or other waxes?

Originally Posted By: SIXSPEED
I've been using Collinite 845 for over a year now and I've been noticing after waxing that if the car is left in the hot sun, the finish seems to develop a cloudy film over it, which detracts from the shine, especially on the hood of the car. Anyone else experience this problem with Collinite 845 or other waxes?

Same here, but I figured this is due to me putting it on way too thick, on a black car, more so than any fault of the 845.

Besides, after the first wash, or even a detail spray wipe down, the haze is completely gone.
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back