College Student and Cars - Most Crucial Oil Trait?

Status
Not open for further replies.
quote:

Originally posted by Starbreaker666:
I'm no college kid but I do have the short trip issues to contend with in both my 02 dodge ram and wifes 03 hyundai. we live in rural Colo and our engince DO NOT warm up all the way unless you idle(bad) for 15 minutes or take that 2x and month trip into town to walmart. which is about a 150 mile raound trip after its all said and done. I am seriously thinking of tracking down a 10W-30 Diesel oil. the ladies car is stayng on either 5w or 10w Valv durablend. I knoiw the rap Valvoline gets around here but her car is responding well with it. Getting back on subject a HD oil might be the ticket. either way i would and AM staying with 3k changes. due to those miles. you would do well to stay the same.

Well, when you go over to Wal-Mart, you could pick up some Rotella-T 5w-40...

quote:

Originally posted by Starbreaker666:
-*-*-*-*-* I am seriously thinking of tracking down a 10W-30 Diesel oil. *-*-*-*-*-

IMO, you'd be on the right track.
Get a good Cxx/Sxx oil... what are you leaning towards?

I wanted to start an oil change service at school, but when I put up flyers, I go canned by the dorm manager.

From my experience, the poor kids always kept some old junkers alive by wit, spit and glue, while the rich kids got mommy and daddy to buy them a new car. Which would be trash by the time they were done.

I'd go with a strong oil, 6 month changes.
-Although I was once one of those, the Fri & Sat night trips to KC to the bars (55 miles in 26 minutes) probably heated the engine enough. It was a good enough of a diet for my Silver Hawk to make it to the 200,000 mile mark.

quote:

Originally posted by crashz:
From my experience, the poor kids always kept some old junkers alive by wit, spit and glue, while the rich kids got mommy and daddy to buy them a new car. Which would be trash by the time they were done.

I couldn't have said it better...

Any oil change is great in terms of a college student. I followed the twice a year plan for oil changes, once in the summer and once in the winter with my departed 84 Toyota 4runner (now still running in S. America). I would change it also before a spring break road trip to FL from NH. Cheap is crucial either do it yourself or Walmart Quicklube nowadays for $11.88 (bottled SuperTech oil/filter). College is more a time of fun, study and more fun not worrying about cars.

I'd say a good synthetic is the winner here. If the oil changes get neglected and an oil is run too long, the synthetic should hold up better.

With short trip low engine temp runs there is a fine line im looking at. A) something that will not shear and stay in grade (ie..10w-30's or 40's). Or B) Something that is going to reach the top of the engine faster like 5w's or 0w's. have the best of both of these in a dino oil is tough. Thats why im leaning towards something that is not going to thin way out over the 3k miles and use 10w-30's. The diff in cranking point temps in a 5w or 10w is not THAT much diff when it gets that cold to me. Of course last winter on more then one occasion my outside temp guage said -17..=) Too cold for anything let alnoe starting a truck..LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back