College football playoffs

Status
Not open for further replies.
For a long time I've said that I can't get into college football as much as I do the pros because the way they pick the top teams is too subjective. There are too many personal preferences, too much politics, and a whole myriad of other things going on that should not be part of the process.

Coming up with a playoff system is a step in the right direction, however, there are two major problems with it the way it is currently. One, how many college teams are there? I'm asking because I don't know, but I would guess there are several hundred teams. Only having 4 teams in the playoffs when there are that many teams is ridiculous. There should be at least 16 teams, and preferably 32 teams going to the playoffs. Secondly, they need to get rid of the committee and determine which teams go to the playoffs based strictly on stats...the same way the NFL is done. It could easily be done. This way you take all subjectivity out of the equation, and you eliminate the controversy...

Last edited:
I think one problem with going by stats is the sheer number of teams. There are teams in "lesser" conferences that have easier schedules and can therefore have a better record (with all of the offensive and defensive stats to go with) than better teams that happen to be in tougher conferences. At least with most professional sports, you play each team in your conference/league/division (NFC/AFC, AL/NL) at least once, so you get a better picture of who is better than who and schedules are more on oar with each other.

Originally Posted By: NMBurb02
I think one problem with going by stats is the sheer number of teams. There are teams in "lesser" conferences that have easier schedules and can therefore have a better record (with all of the offensive and defensive stats to go with) than better teams that happen to be in tougher conferences. At least with most professional sports, you play each team in your conference/league/division (NFC/AFC, AL/NL) at least once, so you get a better picture of who is better than who and schedules are more on oar with each other.

The strength of schedule thing is something that could easily be plugged into a computer...it doesn't need to be figured out through subjective and controversial human input...take the current playoff for example...instead of having a committee deciding which 4 teams are in, you simply use records, head to head match ups, in conference records, out of conference records, points scored, points allowed, ect, and this should be done with all teams to figure out teams seeds based on all of these factors...this would also determine which teams had the toughest schedules...

Originally Posted By: grampi

The strength of schedule thing is something that could easily be plugged into a computer...it doesn't need to be figured out through subjective and controversial human input...take the current playoff for example...instead of having a committee deciding which 4 teams are in, you simply use records, head to head match ups, in conference records, out of conference records, points scored, points allowed, ect, and this should be done with all teams to figure out teams seeds based on all of these factors...this would also determine which teams had the toughest schedules...

Isn't that pretty much how the BCS system worked?

I imagine the current system will be expanded into a 8 game playoff in the near future. The biggest issue I see with the current setup is that 4 teams are selected out of 5 "Power" conferences. There's always going to be a "Power 5" conference champion left out and pretty much no chance for a Cinderella non-P5 team to make it to a championship.

I miss the old days when it was all about a team winning their division and conference and getting a good bowl against traditional rivals. Today, everyone is so obsessed with top 25 rankings, that losing a single game is a catastrophe, and winning your division/conference is just a footnote.

There is no fair way to set up the playoffs because teams are rated that don't play each other.

So, we're stuck watching someone else's idea of a playoff.

My picks? Florida State, Oregon, Alabama and Baylor.

Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack
There is no fair way to set up the playoffs because teams are rated that don't play each other.

So, we're stuck watching someone else's idea of a playoff.

My picks? Florida State, Oregon, Alabama and Baylor.

then you have the whole OSU thing /sigh

I think it definitely should be 8 teams. 16-32 would require too many games.

but shortening the regular season would be unpopular.

And what about teams that pull their first string at the half in blowouts vs teams that pile it on.

then you have the whole baylor beat TCU, but since big12 has no conference game they will overlook that

I think they should just chuck both big12 teams out

The whole hiring a pr team thing was bad, and the big12 making up rules as they go to "make their teams look better for the playoffs" is bad.

Of course I'm from ohio so I'm biased .. just like many of the voters are biased.

All big12 shenanigans aside, Baylor and TCU both have the same record, and Baylor beat TCU head to head.

so how the heck can they put TCU over Baylor.

The whole big12 politic-ING is UGH..

Basically the big12 is saying well we wont count that if it puts TCU in the playoffs, if they don't get in the playoffs we will count it???

some details here

yeah, 8 teams is best

that many teams and you would rarely ever have the truly best team not included, although this year, it might be LSU

you know how they should decide the playoff teams:

get a room full of coaches and have them vote on the 4 or 8 teams THEY DO NOT WANT TO HAVE TO PLAY!

TCU controlled 3 quarters of the TCU@Baylor game and then inexplicably lifted off the gas and let Baylor back in the game.

TCU won against a surprisingly good Minnesota team and won against West Virginia on the road. Baylor lost to West Virginia did not have anyone worthy of mention in their non-conference games.

It's all a moot point. As soon as Ohio State won, (and won big - shutting down Melvin Gordon is a major achievement) the committee saw dollar signs. Buckeye nation travels well. Every Buckeye game is a home game. The whole state of Ohio will be glued to their TV sets for those games. If Baylor or TCU had been Texas or Oklahoma, they would have been in with an 11-1 record. It's all about money. You know that the Bears and Horned Frogs can compete with Oregon and 'Bama....maybe even win. But they can't sell like Ohio State.

Originally Posted By: LScowboy
no one can beat Alabama, other than occasionally Auburn, LSU, and Texas A&M

that has been shown year after year after year

and Ole Miss.

We will see if the Horned Frogs are worthy when they take on the Rebels.

OH St ain't gonna beat 'em either....

And don't forget that college football is a very big business which at times must be considered when it's time to create a schedule. The business part of the deal might focus more on cash flow then the narrower focus of a national championship. They have to nail down the business and if that works then think about the championship. And somewhere lost in all this is the fact that students make up the teams.

Originally Posted By: kb01

Isn't that pretty much how the BCS system worked?

I imagine the current system will be expanded into a 8 game playoff in the near future. The biggest issue I see with the current setup is that 4 teams are selected out of 5 "Power" conferences. There's always going to be a "Power 5" conference champion left out and pretty much no chance for a Cinderella non-P5 team to make it to a championship.

I miss the old days when it was all about a team winning their division and conference and getting a good bowl against traditional rivals. Today, everyone is so obsessed with top 25 rankings, that losing a single game is a catastrophe, and winning your division/conference is just a footnote.

I think the whole one loss thing being a catastrophe is ridiculous...that's why I say there should be 16 or 32 teams in the playoffs and there could be teams getting in with 2 or even 3 losses....one or two losses shouldn't take you out of contention for the post season...heck, if it were that way in the NFL there wouldn't be enough teams to even make the playoffs...

Wow was a prophet or what?
smile.gif

The committee couldn't agree on Baylor or TCU and THE OSU was a great alternative that let them off the hook.

NOTE TO BIG12 quit making up rules as you go along to try and make your "one true champion" just have a championship game and you would have a team in.

The same was said about the Buckeyes in 02 against Miami. I'm not saying they will win, but I'm looking forward to watching the game.

I like the current system. Every game means something. For the top teams, every game is a play off. Keep it like it is.

Originally Posted By: whip

The same was said about the Buckeyes in 02 against Miami. I'm not saying they will win, but I'm looking forward to watching the game.

I like the current system. Every game means something. For the top teams, every game is a play off. Keep it like it is.

Yep, and keep all the controversy right along with it...subjectivity needs to be removed form the process...you don't hear anyone griping and complaining about which teams get into the playoffs in the NFL because it's all cut and dried...college FB should be the same...

...subjectivity needs to be removed form the process...you don't hear anyone griping and complaining about which teams get into the playoffs in the NFL because it's all cut and dried...college FB should be the same...

If you can come up with a system that fairly compares 125+ teams and most of those teams never play each other, you'll be a millionaire. The NFL has 32 teams set up in divisions where a clear winner is established. You can't compare CFB to the NFL.
College Basketball lets 68 teams in the tournament, and people still complain. making the football playoff have 8, 16, or 32 teams will not fix the problem of being subjective.

College football needs some sort of playoff system for the fans. With all the money coming into the NCAA by playing so many meaningless bowl games, I'll settle for this play off system as a start and maybe it can be tweeked in the future and more teams and playoff games can be added in the future. At least it's a start.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: whip
...subjectivity needs to be removed form the process...you don't hear anyone griping and complaining about which teams get into the playoffs in the NFL because it's all cut and dried...college FB should be the same...

If you can come up with a system that fairly compares 125+ teams and most of those teams never play each other, you'll be a millionaire.

That system already exists...it's called a computer...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back