College Dropouts Build $14 Million Company in 1YR

Status
Not open for further replies.
Perhaps inspirational? or testament that the American ideal that ingenuity, hard work, or perseverance can lead to riches regardless of race, creed, color or college degree?

Just an article that highlights someone that is obviously pretty smart and could have finished college if they wanted to. Bill Gates is another person that comes to mind, but the media doesn't highlight the thousands of students who dropped out and didn't become rich, so this is more the exception and not the rule.

College is not required to have good ideas. It's also not required to program a phone app. Good for them. They still should have finished college if you ask me, but it's not required for their profession.

Originally Posted By: SVTCobra
but the media doesn't highlight the thousands of students who dropped out and didn't become rich, so this is more the exception and not the rule.

You should'nt need the media to tell you that.
And if you do, not to worry, success won't be one of your problems.

I just happened to think that what has been going on the past decade or two is similar to the industrial revolution of the last century.
Instead of oil ,trains and automobiles a few people are getting very wealthy on technology. The new Rockafellers, Fords etc.

Some people just have the touch but most of us don't. But don't forget, this is very, very rare. Maybe 10-20 kids a year end up starting something that actually grows and survives.

The reality is these folks will collect a check when tech gets bought up by another larger entity. After that they live rather normal lives and living off the earning of early creation.

I am impressed when these folks go onto expand their tech or onto bigger better things. One example is Sean Parker of Napster then Facebook president and not onto Spotify.

Three of my neighbors are in such a situation with sale of software companies and now "consult" to keep busy.

Originally Posted By: Papa Bear
Bill Gates is a college dropout

Yeah, but there was more to Bill Gates than that... like that he attended an exclusive preparatory school from the age of 13 on.

Gates was smart enough that he probably could have taught courses at the average college. He certainly didn't need a diploma to be successful.

Just another app with an ambitious valuation.

I never understood this business model maybe I'm to old school. They are not trying to build a business just a valuation in hopes that a larger company with excess cash buys them out.

Not my cup of tea.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Rick in PA
I find it interesting that writing apps can be like making money out of thin air.

Today: apps

Yesterday:
kraftpetrock1_250x153.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back