Collector cars (what oil)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok, I`m REALLY going to open myself up here! Just shows that I`m willing to learn!

I manage a 1,000,000 car collection! Cars ranging from Ferarri`s, Porsche`s, and muscle cars! I am now using a variety of oils in them rangeing from Amsoil, to Delo 400! Have in the past changed out the Delo every fall and left the Amsoil in! These cars very rarely run 500 miles a year, some maybe only 100! I would like to use the same oil in all of them! They are always in heated storage and only driven in the summer time! I try to warm them up to temp at least once a month! They all could use 20-50 and am concidering Amsoil 20-50 Racing! Maybe the new marine deisel oil!

Ok, what is everyones thought on this??

Hasbeen

If money is no object I would think Amsoil is about as good as it gets. I personally think Mobil 1 is the best oil for most cars but for
your usage the Amsoil Marine would be what I would use.

I agree with TR3, that Amsoil marine HDD 15w40 synth seems hard to beat, Schaeffer 7000 15w40 is another I would consider, if cost is a concearn I don't see why Delo, Pennz or any other good HDEO wouldn't be an excellent choice. I would take the heavier detergent/addative package of HDEO over a 20w50 race oil anyday.

In terms of Price/performance ratios, I think the Schaeffer's #700 15W40 would be a good choice for cars only run 100 to 500 miles per year.

quote:

I manage a 1,000,000 car collection!

shocked.gif
shocked.gif
shocked.gif
shocked.gif

wink.gif

Man, that is a lot of cars! I`d like to have the oil account on that one!

My mistake, obviously I meant $1,000,000! But you caught me on that one!

We have one car, a 1961 Mercedes 300 SL that just took first place at the Mercedes show in Jackson Wyoming recently! Just this car is worth between $400,000 and $500,000! Other cars are:

61 Corvette
65 Corvette
Dino Ferarri
61 356 Porsche
87 911 Turbo Slant nose Cbriolet Porsche
94 911 Turbo Porsche (for sale)
70 De Tamaso Pantera (Posably for sale)
61 Ford HP Starliner Big Block
2 Boats
2 Jet Ski`s
Plus various personal cars, Excursion, BMW, Mercedes etc!

Keeps me busy as I do some restoration work also, and some Property managment!

I know, It`s a rotten job, but someone has to do it!!

Hasbeen
grin.gif

[ November 05, 2003, 01:19 PM: Message edited by: Hasbeen ]

quote:

Originally posted by Hasbeen:
Man, that is a lot of cars! I`d like to have the oil account on that one!

My mistake, obviously I meant $1,000,000! But you caught me on that one!

I know, It`s a rotten job, but someone has to do it!!

Hasbeen
grin.gif

Hmm... I'm trying to figure out how a person can work with all those fine cars everyday and pick a moniker like "Hasbeen"...
bowdown.gif

cheers.gif

I used to help out once in awhile with the guy that used to have this job! He called me that when I walked in the door every morning, Just joking around, (Because), I was an Auto Body Man, (Frame and heavy collision) for almost 25 years but had to leave due to solvent related issues! My body just told me that it had had enough!! Therefor the Hasbeen Nickname! I`m able to continue doing what I am doing now as I have been away from immersing myself in the trade for a few years and can be around it to this degree without it effect, effect, effecting me any more!

Oil has been a hobby of mine for many years and just found this forum and find it VERY interesting!

Hasbeen

Thanks TC for the input, but this artical is pretty much old hat! As I Posted, I would like to use the same oil in all the cars, Ranging from 1994-1961, So far I think the new 15-40 from Amsoil is going to win out!! Good lay up protection! Price really isn`t an object as I think buy not changing them every fall is going to be a big boost concidering the Porsches hold about 2 gallons each! I think an analisis would be a good idea maybe every other year! Coolants are changed every two years!

Hasbeen

Although not $1 million, I do have quite a collection that ranges from a '70 Chevelle SS LS-6 to a 1979 Porsche 911 Turbo and various cars in between. I have always used what the manuals say and never had an oil related problem. I bought an '87 Grand National new in 1987 and drove it HARD daily for about 10 years and it now has about 120K on it and only drive it in the summer, sometimes. Nothing but Castrol 10w-30 w/Fram oil filter from the local oil change place since new and never a problem. I have them all stored in a climate control garage and try and drive them all once a month to full warm up when I run an errand. I even do this in the winter when the streets are dry and NO SALT is present. I do change the oil in all of them before winter when they get driven very little or at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back