Collapsed Pure One

Status
Not open for further replies.
I changed the oil today on Wheel Horse tractor with a 20hp Onan twin. The filter was a Pure One that was in service for 2 years and 38 hours. About 1/3 of the center tube was collapsed. This has made me a little leary of Purolators.

Originally Posted By: Troy_Built
To much mess going on with P1 lately...

What's that mean?

Originally Posted By: Brett Miller
The filter was a Pure One that was in service for 2 years and 38 hours. About 1/3 of the center tube was collapsed. This has made me a little leary of Purolators.

Center tubes (especially metal ones) don't collapse for no reason. Maybe the filter was pretty clogged up - was it the right filter (ie, right bypass setting) for that engine? Post up some photos.

I didn't have time to cut it open as the tractor is at my father's house. A portion of the metal center tube was collapsed into the center of the filter. I directly cross-referenced the filter from the OEM Onan number on the Purolator website.

It probably didn't hurt anything but this is the first time I have had any type of filter failure.

Last edited:
I changed the oil today on Wheel Horse tractor with a 20hp Onan twin. The filter was a Pure One that was in service for 2 years and 38 hours. About 1/3 of the center tube was collapsed. This has made me a little leary of Purolators.

Any pics.

Quote:
Quote:

What's that mean?
Wondering the same thing myself? Guess all the Bitogers on the promo board jumping on the the AAP 5 P1's for $15 + tax with BIG10 code must be wrong.
21.gif

Quote:
Quote:
The filter was a Pure One that was in service for 2 years and 38 hours. About 1/3 of the center tube was collapsed. This has made me a little leary of Purolators.

Center tubes (especially metal ones) don't collapse for no reason. Post up some photos.
+1 Last collapsed tube I saw here was an orange can, and that was because the guy reused the filter with no adbv, on a car that spec'd one. Ignorance in other words. But pics would be good.

Correction, the last collapsed tube here on the orange can was because the guy reused the filter with no bypass on a car that that spec'd a bypass.

Originally Posted By: Panzerman
Imagine if that was a E-core.

Isn't that the truth.

As much as I like to defend the ol' e-core (devils advocate I guess), we did have pictures to substantiate those failures.

Not saying this is false, of course.

Moderators, please remove this post. I don't have pictures so I guess it has no worth. I will now leave BITOG.

Thank you.

Awwww c'mon.. Don't jump ship yet.

Pics or no pics, at least we have people seeing failures in other filter's than e-cores too.

Here's a pretty good summary of what might lead to a collapsed center tube. Collapsed Center Tubes. The short version is that it is probably caused by a sticking oil pump regulating valve and/or a sticking bypass valve. Does that application have a bypass valve in the filter? Or is the bypass valve built into the engine?

Moderators, please remove this post. I don't have pictures so I guess it has no worth. I will now leave BITOG.

Thank you.

Don't go over such a trivial thing, please!

The request for pics seems innocent to me. It's not a question of your word, it's that we want to see. Collapsed filters are not common, especially at those low hours. Maybe we can help you get to the bottom of it.

NAPA, Motorcraft............my choice.

You do know who makes Motorcraft filters right?

AFAIK, there's no bypass in the engine on those.

And you're right, chances are, it hurt nothing. Heck, the marine versions of those don't even have oil filters, and they still last forever.

Originally Posted By: ctc

Apparently not...
21.gif

Something over pressurized that filter, whether a faulty bypass on the filter, or the engine, or it simply clogged up with debris..which I would be surprised. Center tubes don't collapse under normal use and normal psi's when the right filter is used in the right application. I would like to know more.. filter model number and of course who wouldn't want to see pics. Trying to visualize is too hard
grin2.gif

The bright side is that it *had* a center tube which prevented the media from tearing to shreds and entering your engine.

Originally Posted By: ctc

My understanding PureOne, Bosch and Motorcraft use the same core.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back