Cold Weather Oil Storage Recommendations

Status
Not open for further replies.
Given the plummeting temps as winter arrives, I found it interesting that Amsoil published in their magazine their opinions as to how to store their products in the cold.

What do you all think? Do these recommendations apply to other products like G-OIL or conventional oils, or just Amsoil synthetics? Do you agree with these recommendations or follow something else?

AmsoilColdStorageRecs_zpsccc5fca8.jpg

I had full strength antifreeze freeze and bust open its container in below-zero weather.

It needs a little water to get its freeze point way down.

They're recommending at least 10F above an oil's pour point.
That would be very cold and of no concern for oil stored even in an unheated detatched garage for almost all of us.

Originally Posted By: eljefino
I had full strength antifreeze freeze and bust open its container in below-zero weather.

It needs a little water to get its freeze point way down.

huh?

Originally Posted By: fdcg27
They're recommending at least 10F above an oil's pour point.
That would be very cold and of no concern for oil stored even in an unheated detatched garage for almost all of us.

I saw the same storage recommendation. Maybe getting close to pour point makes a subtle change in the chemistry.

Its common knowledge here that cold temps cause the additive to come out of solution over time. Thats why you store oil in the warm The products with no additives are not affected.

Originally Posted By: Bluestream
Its common knowledge here that cold temps cause the additive to come out of solution over time. Thats why you store oil in the warm The products with no additives are not affected.

Any idea if shaking before using will put them back in solution?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back