Cold temps, blown engine

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had a coworker call me out of the blue: he had a car problem and somebody suggested he contact me. New car- famous Japanese make, still under base warranty. He is in northern USA. After talking to him, I called the dealer service dept and spoke to the service manager: car was brought in with a bad tick and squealing, rough running and numerous engine codes. They initially thought it was a bad belt or frozen pulley, but after much investigation found that it appears to have engine damage: probably a rod or main bearing damage. After much discussion with the service dept it turns out the guy was late to work, jumped in the car and as soon as it was started he floored it as he was late for work. Temps were around -10 to -15 as best as I can gather that morning. P0301 and P0304 engine misfire cyl 1 and 4, and quite a few other codes. Service guys were actually really nice overall, and this is what they got from the owner, who confirmed the story to me.

It appears he was in South Florida until recently, had the oil change at the original dealer a few times, records show it was 5w30. Mechanic feels it was a thicker oil than that. They are blaming the owner for mistreatment of the car and are indicating they will not cover it, and they are talking to the dealer in Florida trying to get some more info. I am due to talk to them again tomorrow, and I told them to be prepared to have me speak to the zone rep. Car only has about 4k miles on the last change, and maintenance records seem fine.

I instructed them to leave the car on the lift, and find a clean container to take an oil sample but wait for the owner to get there so he can witness it. Plan is to have the owner write his signature on the oil filter with a Sharpie (perm marker), sign the oil pan as well, witness the oil coming out of the crankcase, send it off to a oil analysis place that does rush service and review the results. Have his wife video it with her phone. If he gets any flak at all to the process, then raise [censored] and call me. Service guys were fine with the plan, but after much negotiation it was agreed for 1 hour labor to cover this, which I got the owner to agree.

No way I can get up there, but I like the guy as a coworker so I am trying to help. Two questions: 1) am I missing anything ? 2) Anybody know of a reputable oil analysis that does rush service ? 3) Extra credit- should I have them do 2 samples and have 2 different labs run a UOA ?

I would think having two different labs doing the testing might be the way to go here. Blackstone and the Cat lab or the one through Napa. This just seems like a good way to double verify the results.

I bet this a Nissan by the way...

And they are not the best at times I have read online.

Originally Posted by PeterPolyol
Okay you can't post this without telling us what car it was.....

Its a Japanese brand
smile.gif
I have not looked to see what country it was manufactured.

How many miles on the old oil? gdi engine?
Get a little oil and put it in the freezer even though it maybe -2°F in freezer, you can tell a lot. it can turn into Wax or does it flow?

Last edited:
It is likely his fault. Why should the mfr cover it? How about an insurance claim? Insurance is supposed to cover stupidity....

If the oil was as specced by the OEM, and installed by a dealer...they've got no right to deny warranty.

Originally Posted by Shannow
If the oil was as specced by the OEM, and installed by a dealer...they've got no right to deny warranty.

Can you theoretically damage an engine like that lets say with a fresh and proper oil spec.
Assuming fresh to eliminate oil related issues ....
5W good to -22°F ... If you step on it with cold engine at -15°F ...

Originally Posted by tomcat27
It is likely his fault. Why should the mfr cover it? How about an insurance claim? Insurance is supposed to cover stupidity....

What kind of insurance is that?

I have seen dealer lots where they would get in cars, floor and flog them and move them a few feet and turn off. They do this over and over, on brand new and used cars. Cold weather even more to get heat going.

Wow! My neighbor down the road ruined his engine this week in below zero weather pushing it hard while cold. He has a 2018 Honda Odyssey with under 10,000 miles. I'll keep you posted to see what the dealer says.

Originally Posted by rubberchicken
After much discussion with the service dept it turns out the guy was late to work, jumped in the car and as soon as it was started he floored it as he was late for work. Temps were around -10 to -15 as best as I can gather that morning.

Originally Posted by Michael_P
Wow! My neighbor down the road ruined his engine this week in below zero weather pushing it hard while cold. He has a 2018 Honda Odyssey with under 10,000 miles. I'll keep you posted to see what the dealer says.

Your car doesn't know your late for work. But it does know when it's cold.

I would ride home from school with a buddy of mine once in a while. It would be -40 below and he would get in his Pontiac LeMans 1966 or 1967 I can't remember. Anyway he would take off and floor it all the way up to the 65 mph speed limit. It never hurt the engine at all and he did it numerous times. I know it's not real good for a cold engine but it shouldn't blow up by doing this.

Originally Posted by billt460
Originally Posted by rubberchicken
After much discussion with the service dept it turns out the guy was late to work, jumped in the car and as soon as it was started he floored it as he was late for work. Temps were around -10 to -15 as best as I can gather that morning.

Originally Posted by Michael_P

hmmmm...sentient vehicles coming soon to a theatre near you.

Originally Posted by Shannow
Originally Posted by billt460

hmmmm...sentient vehicles coming soon to a theatre near you.

Christine ... https://youtu.be/oezKQEF0deY

Originally Posted by tomcat27
It is likely his fault. Why should the mfr cover it?

This ^^^^^^^^^^

If people are this ignorant / stupid in operating a motor vehicle, there is no reason a manufacturer should be required to pay for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back