Cold start for engine makes weird noises (Ford 4.6L SOHC V8 + Mobil 1)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm posting this for what seems like the 18th time...

I have a 2000 Ford 4.6L SOHC V8 - 7000 miles - uses Mobil 1 SS 5W-30

on a 0F-15F morning in a cold start, my engine will make a tick tick tick sound that changes with RPM.

After warming up a bit the sound goes away.

what's the deal here?

Noise = something's wearing against something = not good.

No noise = good.

[ December 04, 2002, 06:05 PM: Message edited by: metroplex ]

and no

its not the exhaust or intake manifold leaking, its not any gasket leaking, its not the exhaust leaking, etc etc

basically a brand spanking new 4.6 w/ only ~7000 original miles (bought in 2000)

I think that engines are designed to run at normal operating temperture. As long as they are quite under these conditions, I don't think there is much of a problem. just about every engine I've owned has been a little more noisy during a cold start especially at the temps you described.

At temps that low it could be lifters, could be piston clearance.

Those engines are known (at least in the first years of their production, early to mid 90s) to have piston slap noise when cold.

Yeah but its a 2000 Romeo 4.6L SOHC V8, manufactured March 13 2000 with 7000 original miles to this day.

Right now it has Mobil 1 SuperSyn 5W-30 w/ a Wix oil filter. All engine internals are original.

Should I use 10W-30?

I have two romeo built 4.6l engines, both in F150's at home right now. One is in a '97 with 155,000 miles and the other is in a '99 with 80,000 miles. Both make the same ticking noise within the first 1 minute of starting on a cold start (after 6+ hours) in weather below 15 degrees F, which happens pretty often here in Minnesota. They have both done this since new, and various oils (including 10w30) and filters including the Motorcraft FL-820s have made no difference. I have made my peace with the noise as it goes away very quickly.

There are still isolated reports of late model romeo 4.6l V8's having a bit of piston slap, but they are far and very few in between.

Don't the trucks get Windsor 4.6s and 5.4s?

What kind of engine oil did you use?

quote:

Originally posted by metroplex:

on a 0F-15F morning in a cold start, my engine will make a tick tick tick sound that changes with RPM.

After warming up a bit the sound goes away.

what's the deal here?

Noise = something's wearing against something = not good.

No noise = good.

Sounds like piston slap.

Go to F150 online and do a search you will see this is a common problem.

Some folks have gotten an engine replacement from it, but from what I have heard its not supposed to damage your engine.

FYI-1997 F150 4.6L mine also does it. I'm running Amsoil 0w30 with a dual remote by-pass system.

Trucks get either version of the 4.6l V8 - Romeo or Windsor. I think the 8th digit in the VIN, 6=Windsor, W=Romeo (seems screwed up, but trust me, its right) 5.4l V8's and 6.8l V10's are Windsor plant only.

I've run Valvoline All Climate 5w30 and 10w30, Valvoline Durablend 5w30 and 10w30, Mobil 1 Synthetic 0w30, 5w30, and 10w30, Penzoil 5w30, Mobil Drive Clean 5w30.

Oil Filters have been Frams
pat.gif
, Purolator Premiums, Purolator Pure Ones, Casite (made by Balwin / Hastings), Motorcraft FL820s, Supertech (or whatever the Wal-Mart Brand is).

No difference in cold startup noises regardless of oil or filter. The 10w30 wieghts deefinitely cranked harder in temps below zero - leading me back to running 5w30 year around (easier to stock that way).

Has anyone tried using a pan heater to see if that helps? Just from this thread it sounds like it isn't going to be solved by oil brand or weight so temp is the main thing left to mess with.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back