Cold Oil in a Honda

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've read around here that Hondas tend to have fuel dilution issues since they don't heat the oil up very much. Well this afternoon, after a 27 mile drive home on the freeway, I pulled the dip stick and sure enough the oil was barely warm to the touch. Outside temps were in the mid 30's today, but still...

This is a 2004 Accord 2.4L and is known to be very easy on the oil, but I was wondering if there was any advice on what oil to use when the motor doesn't heat it up, even on the freeway.

Barely warm to the touch would be just over 100F, and less than hot tap water, which is 130F or so.
This is ice cold for an engine that just saw 27 miles of highway driving!
I'll bet the stick cooled the oil on it, and your actual oil temp is higher. An oil temp gauge would show what is really going on.

This happens on my TL too. I can pull the stick and leave my fingers on there indefinately. I just changed the oil yesterday and pulled into my frind's shop after a 20 minute drive and the oil that came out would burn you if you left your hand in the stream. Pan and filter were also too hot to touch for very long.

For some reason the dipsticks come out barely warm on some Hondas but the oil is fully warm.

Interesting, I'll have to slide under and feel the pan next time.

I've looked around the local auto parts stores for oil temp guages, but haven't seen any. Where can I find one and do you guys have any recommendations for the best brand/type?

hondas dont heat the oil much in my experience. i worked at a speedy lube years ago and you did not have to be that careful around the hondas like you did on a ford or a GM engine. those things would burn your fingers with the hot oil. ask me how i know.

An infrared temp gun is a great tool for this purpose. My car is the same, when it's below about 35 degrees, Even after driving for an hour, the oil filter/oil pan is only around 180-190 and water temps at the outlet are 190. The oil doesn't really feel hot when I change it. But in summer when temps are in the 80s/90s, the oil gets to 210-215 quickly and get above 220 if it's super hot out and it feels burning hot. Water temps are usually around 205, so I think ambient temps really do affect overall engine/oil/water temps. I recently covered my rad with cardboard and it gets the oil to about 200 even in super cold weather - water temps get to around 200 as well and warmup is much faster.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: jamesn
hondas dont heat the oil much in my experience. i worked at a speedy lube years ago and you did not have to be that careful around the hondas like you did on a ford or a GM engine. those things would burn your fingers with the hot oil. ask me how i know.
Then I guess it's no wonder Honda was the first automaker to switch to 5W-20.

immediately after such a drive, pull the cap of the oil filler... its likely on the valve cover.

Look for fumes and the smell of heated oil, its pretty unmistakable.

Carefully stick your finger in there and feel the oil inside the valve cover. Remember that the oil in the pan turns over often, so its up there at some point too.

Next time you change your oil, do it after ~20 miles of driving. Stick a gloved finger in the oil stream. Be careful... report back.

Our integra sure doesnt overheat the oil or acts harsh on the oil, but the oil sure gets up to temp...

JMH

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
immediately after such a drive, pull the cap of the oil filler... its likely on the valve cover.

As opposed to being on the exhaust manifold?

Originally Posted By: Scout1
I was wondering if there was any advice on what oil to use when the motor doesn't heat it up, even on the freeway.

I've got a 99 Civic, 1.6 liter and doubt it heats up the oil more than your 2.4 liter. I use Pennzoil Platinum and have had great results:

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1063052#Post1063052

I don't think the "cool" oil is really a problem in the engine. Some people may think it is a problem, but that is the only place the problem exists. I honestly wouldn't worry about it. After all, how many Hondas do you know of with 200K+ miles?

Clark

Originally Posted By: Dyoel182
Originally Posted By: JHZR2

As opposed to being on the exhaust manifold?

oooh, arent you smart... or more like annoying.

I'll have to see what my oil temp is in my Prelude. My ScanGauge shows that the water temp is always 198-202 regardless of ambient air temperature.

I've read around here that Hondas tend to have fuel dilution issues since they don't heat the oil up very much. Well this afternoon, after a 27 mile drive home on the freeway, I pulled the dip stick and sure enough the oil was barely warm to the touch. Outside temps were in the mid 30's today, but still...

This is a 2004 Accord 2.4L and is known to be very easy on the oil, but I was wondering if there was any advice on what oil to use when the motor doesn't heat it up, even on the freeway.

I don't think this is a generic "Honda thing" our 3.5V6 oil heats up fairly quickly and is hot when I change oil. Perhaps the L4's don't stress the oil much and I think it's either a trick of the dipstick (oil on my dipstick doesn't seem so hot either) or maybe you have a slightly sticky thermostat.

Checkout my post 5W30 vs 5W40 same kinda thing. Check under you oil cap and see if you find white build up under the oil cap. My wife drives 15 miles one way to work and i guess it still isnt enough to burn off the moisture.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back