cold morning starts still OK with Chev Supreme

Status
Not open for further replies.
We've had a few nights in a row of mid to low teen overnight temps and so far my truck has not exhibited the loud tapping noise at first startup. I know it has made the noise at these temps in the past with various other motor oils (even some synthetics) but so far nothing with Chevron Supreme 5w-30.

I know there have been some concerns about cold weather performance on Chevron Supreme and mid teens is not exactly sub-artic weather, but so far so good.

Mikep

I'm using Delo 400 15w-40 as of this past week, no problems with the 22F temperatures in the early morning. (Although, I do wonder how much colder I can go with this thicker oil.)

It is 30 deg here, and I left a 5qt bottle of Pennzoil 10W-30 in the car overnight. It sloshes around in the bottle almost like it did when it was in the store.

I think people are too worried about cold flow. I'd bet that the 10W-30 dinos of today do better in the cold than the 5W-30 oils of 10 years ago. However, this is just speculation.

Unless I move to an area where it is routinely < 0 deg F, I'll keep running my dino oils.

After having a few cold starts down to -13 F already this year, the 5w20 Havoline sounds better than the previously used 5w30 with a supposedly lower pour point in my '99 F150.

IMHO, pour point is overrated as an indicator of cold weather performance - Cold Crank Simulator results seem to matter more.

I'm running a mix of Chevron supreme 10/40 and 10/30 in ratio of 3:2 quarts in my 97 T-bird (4.6L, 90,000 miles) right now, and I'm in to 1300 miles of my Arx "clean" phase.

Yesterday, the temp was 20F here(not THAT cold, I know, but..), and the bird started without any problems/noises, and drove smooth. I was worried about the Chevron's cold start stories, but even in a mix of 10/40 and 10/30, the car is starting & running fine.
(Never had to crank this car twice since I've owned it anyway, but this is the 1st time I've used Chevron, and no new cold-probs...I guess I'll stick with Chevron, at least till i finish the "rinse" phase of Arx)

quote:

Originally posted by MNgopher:
After having a few cold starts down to -13 F already this year, the 5w20 Havoline sounds better than the previously used 5w30 with a supposedly lower pour point in my '99 F150.

IMHO, pour point is overrated as an indicator of cold weather performance - Cold Crank Simulator results seem to matter more.

That is good news
cheers.gif
. -13 is c-c-c-c-cold!

mikep writes:

"We've had a few nights in a row of mid to low teen overnight temps and so far my truck has not exhibited the loud tapping noise at first startup."

I can always tell when it's getting close to the time to change my oil. (Chevron Supreme 10W-40 changed at 5,000 mile intervals winter use)

The older the oil is, the longer the lifters clatter on cold start. With aging oil, it's about 6 seconds. With new oil it's either non existant or 1 to 2 seconds max. With an oil change, the lifter noise always reduces substantially. I suspect that adding a miracle cure oil thinning additive has the same effect.

Keeping the oil level at or close to the full mark on the dipstick also reduces the lifter clatter on cold start.

Chumley

I recently changed from Mobil 1 to Chevron Supreme in my 98 chevy truck. With the Mobil 1, I had startup tapping, even in warm weather. With the Chevron, no tapping so far.

I'm getting more drivetrain vibration with the Chevron compared to the Mobil 1 though.

Wayne

To wtd:
Would your 98 Chev truck have the 4.3 L V6 engine? I have a 2003 GMC 1/2 ton with that engine and I have a definite vibration (I think from the engine) at engine speeds of 1100 to 1500 RPM. And the vibration is slightly worse when using a dino 5W-30 than with Mobil 1 5W-30. Very strange.

I use Chevron Supreme's cousin, Havoline 5-30. It has been just fine so far this year and I believe that our coldest temperature has been somewhere around 11 deg. I plan on sticking with the Havoline as it is $1.17 per quart and I have no problem running it to 4,000 miles. Sure beats running Mobil-1 to 5,000 miles...
fruit.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back