Cold crank viscosity...how low is low enough??

I live in southeast KY where temps from December through February can drop to 0F and occasionally a few degrees below 0F. The best Ccv I have seen for a dino based 5w20 is [email protected] C for Chevron/Havoline. Is that good enough for a vehicle that is never garaged? How does this compare to M1 0w20 that is 5500 at the colder standard of -35C ? I realize this is a bit of a loaded question, just seeking opinions. I definitely want to stay with a 20 weight for warranty issues. I use Castrol GTX 5w20 during warmer times for the year. My vehicle is a 2002 3.0 OHV V6 Ford Ranger. Thanks!

MolaKule

Staff member
I used to live in South West Kentucky and we never saw a day that any of the cars wouldn't start, even with dino 10W40's. I would think that M 1 SS 0W30 would flow a bit better at those lower temps, if that is your major concern. In addition, you are paying for and receiving a true synthetic. [ June 11, 2003, 02:27 PM: Message edited by: MolaKule ]

Got the similar size engine in the wife's Accord and used Quak. State 5W-20 all year. Believe it or not, we had some negative thermostat readings this past winter in Oklahoma and I didn't notice anything different than compared to summer cranking. Engine started fine, oil pressure jumped quickly. I had just recently changed to a 5W-30, actually last week because of the high heat in the summers in OK. A lot of other Honda owners don't like the 5W-20's, too thin they feel and I believe them. I am also sending out a oil sample for analysis this afternoon on the Quak. State 5W-20 to see how it held up during the cold winter. I personally like Pennz. 5W-20 because of the UOA then recently saw that the Castrol 5W-20 is pretty loaded up too. I think you'll be good to go with what you got. If you change every 3K, dino will do you well. If longer, got to go synthetics.

Jay

quote:
Originally posted by mikemc: ...The best Ccv I have seen for a dino based 5w20 is [email protected] C for Chevron/Havoline. Is that good enough for a vehicle that is never garaged? How does this compare to M1 0w20 that is 5500 at the colder standard of -35C ?...
A dino oil's viscosity will roughly double when chilled to -35*C from -30*C. A synthetic's viscosity will change by a factor of about 1.7 over the same temperature range. So the Chevron 5w-20 will have a CCV of about 10,400cP at -35*C. [ June 11, 2003, 08:17 PM: Message edited by: Jay ]

Al

I suppose you would know. But central Pa. is way way north of you and 0 is usually a normal low for the winter. Now granted we have had some years where we got as low as -17 F. But anyway 10W-30 Mobil 1 is more than adequate here in Pa. so obviously it would be O.K. for you. It pours at -45 C (-49 F.) 0W-20 pours at -57 C (-70 F)