Cold bike ride

So here’s how my ride worked out. When I got time to go, the temp at my house was 27 degrees F. There is ice and snow everywhere. I drove ten minutes to the beach and my thermometer on my dashboard read 36 degrees. There was almost no wind at all which made for a fantastic ride.
It was so nice there was a handful of people in wetsuits surfing.

I was riding on Fire Island. VERY empty in the winter. I won't ever go there in the warm weather.
Those houses are empty right now.
I park in the east most parking lot and ride east on the beach. For the first mile or so there are people walking to take pictures of the lighthouse. Once I get past where people are willing to walk distancewise, I have the whole place to myself. Very relaxing.

24823C05-CF86-429E-8AF0-61303BC1AD4D.jpeg
085CD557-11EB-4CA4-8491-24842CB5E461.jpeg

We had stellar conditions this weekend. We have not had decent snow in two years so there was a brief learning curve as we started. Gonna be 44 and raining tomorrow so great that we got out when we did.

Attachments

• 70957190-E25D-40A7-AC76-8CDF7ED5C066.jpeg
    70957190-E25D-40A7-AC76-8CDF7ED5C066.jpeg
    149.8 KB · Views: 2

Number_35

View attachment 46306 View attachment 46307
We had stellar conditions this weekend. We have not had decent snow in two years so there was a brief learning curve as we started. Gonna be 44 and raining tomorrow so great that we got out when we did.
Awesome! Glad you got your snow finally.

It's warming up here too, though there's enough snow that we won't lose all of it for weeks yet.

We had a good ride yesterday - 10 km each way to our first in-person church service in months. It was around -8 to -10 C, with a brisk south wind and bright sun. After weeks of prolonged cold, there must enough heat sucked out of the ground that the side roads weren't very slushy yet. The main roads are pretty much bare and dry.

Those serene winter days with deep blue skies are my favorite. I miss being able to ride my bike into work during winter. Once I got a dog as a single person, I could not manage riding home on a bicycle for lunch breaks in a timely manner. I am so impressed by the European Amsterdam bikers that bike all winter long. To be honest, I wish I lived in that country so I could bike all year long also!