Coilpacks do they slowly die?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The old oil filled coils would cause real problems when they developed an oil leak.
Heat can cause problems with coils even the new ones, its best to get an actual misfire count on all cylinders rather than looking for a misfire code when you suspect misfires and no code.

Most of the time they are like a light bulb, it works or its burned out but not always, there is a chance the resistance is too high and its malfunctioning.

Originally Posted By: Trav
The old oil filled coils would cause real problems when they developed an oil leak.
Heat can cause problems with coils even the new ones, its best to get an actual misfire count on all cylinders rather than looking for a misfire code when you suspect misfires and no code.

Most of the time they are like a light bulb, it works or its burned out but not always, there is a chance the resistance is too high and its malfunctioning.

I would love a misfire count, but i know if the car has the ability nor which scan tool can provide it.

But i have not done any coilpacks since i've own this car at 60k, about 10 years ago.

Last edited:
NGK is OEM for the Maxima, and definitely not the problem. Pull the coils and look for motor oil in the tubes, the tube seals leak over time and eat the coil boots for lunch. The OEM Mitsubishi coils are much better than the Hanshin coils, but s=whatever you do, stay away from the 1999 OEM coils, pure junk.

New boots and springs are available online and from most stores.

My AutoEnginuity scanner does it but IIRC you need the enhanced software enabled to see it. I have it for the M35X so it covers all Nissan/Infiniti models.

My AutoEnginuity scanner does it but IIRC you need the enhanced software enabled to see it. I have it for the M35X so it covers all Nissan/Infiniti models.

My uprev/cypher software does it for the G35 but doesnt do much for the maxima. There might lie the problem, 98 ECU might not be up to date or have fast enough refresh rates being lower bit ecu.

I know for the 4th gen maxima, a knock sensor fault will not trigger the CEL to come on but the code is stored.

Originally Posted By: asand1
NGK is OEM for the Maxima, and definitely not the problem. Pull the coils and look for motor oil in the tubes, the tube seals leak over time and eat the coil boots for lunch. The OEM Mitsubishi coils are much better than the Hanshin coils, but s=whatever you do, stay away from the 1999 OEM coils, pure junk.

New boots and springs are available online and from most stores.

also there is no oil puddle on my plugs. I know exactly what your talking about because my G35 (VQ35DE) had a bad spark plug tube gasket that i had to replace the whole cover for.

In complete darkness with the car running. Open the hood and look for arcing from the plug wires.

Put some water in a spray bottle, open the hood at night, and spray away.

You'll catch vacuum leaks, not great connections, or a arcing coil.

These COP's don't have replaceable boots?

Originally Posted By: Warstud
In complete darkness with the car running. Open the hood and look for arcing from the plug wires.

Originally Posted By: michaelluscher
Put some water in a spray bottle, open the hood at night, and spray away.

You'll catch vacuum leaks, not great connections, or a arcing coil.

These COP's don't have replaceable boots?

Copy Cat
crackmeup2.gif

Originally Posted By: Vikas
Quote:
At this point i would LOVE to see a P030x code.
I was checking for pending code every single trip for six months before I got a cylinder specific code on my Maxima after the first onset of the coil problems. The pending code only lasted one trip and was not there later.

So i've been doing this every since you posted this. I felt it was a good idea that couldn't hurt and didn't take much time. Since i always have my phone and OBD BT scanner in the car.
Ive been doing this daily for the most part before and after my trips to work and school.

Finally a code showed up in pending, but not related to my issue. Well i dont think it is, P0500 on a maxima is related to VSS, Speed sensor. That sensor is tied in with gauge cluster and shouldn't have to do with my misfire at idle. So back to the drawing board.

Originally Posted By: bowlofturtle
Originally Posted By: Vikas
Quote:
At this point i would LOVE to see a P030x code.
I was checking for pending code every single trip for six months before I got a cylinder specific code on my Maxima after the first onset of the coil problems. The pending code only lasted one trip and was not there later.

So i've been doing this every since you posted this. I felt it was a good idea that couldn't hurt and didn't take much time. Since i always have my phone and OBD BT scanner in the car.
Ive been doing this daily for the most part before and after my trips to work and school.

Finally a code showed up in pending, but not related to my issue. Well i dont think it is, P0500 on a maxima is related to VSS, Speed sensor. That sensor is tied in with gauge cluster and shouldn't have to do with my misfire at idle. So back to the drawing board.

VSS can cause a soft misfire they claim, it effects the PCM.

VSS can cause a soft misfire they claim, it effects the PCM.

seriously? Anyone but you i would tell to pound sand. First i ever heard of such things. I'll look at the FSM in a bit.

At least in theory, it is possible. ECM can use VSS to tweak its fuel map e.g. it might decide that under high vehicle speed, it wants to run little richer.

I had a Ford COP completely fail which took the PCM 10+ mins to throw a code, BUT on this 95 Maxima I'm messing with, it seems to be an intermittent problem. When the engine is hot and under load (A/C running and driving uphill on the freeway) atleast 2 cyl misfire like crazy. It can pretty jerky and violent.

Pretty sure its the COP's since I just gave it an NGK tune up 3k ago and it was butter smooooth.

I ordered 6 Hitachi Coil Packs from RockAuto and they still haven't shipped out
frown.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back