Coffee Grinders??

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm looking for electric spice grinder but all I can find are electric coffee grinders and lot's of them. On TV series 'Surfing the Menu' the other night they used a Braun Multiquick which seemed to do the job but a bit bulky. And from what I hear Johnny is right, use burr grinding wheels.

Whatever brand you decide on, get one with burr grinding wheels not a blade grinder. Just does a better job of grinding the beans and maintaining the flavor.

My everyday use household grinder is a BUNN model BCG. It is easy to use and easy to maintain and it has a 3-year warranty. The hopper will hold 1 pound of beans. For heavy duty use I also have a BUNN commercial grinder, model LPG. The hopper holds 6 pounds of beans, fits under the counter and will set there and grind all day long if you need it.

I also prefer the BUNN coffee brewers, over the rest. We drink a lot of coffee in our home, on average 5 pots per day during the week and 7-8 pots per day on Saturday and Sunday.

Now, I think I will go make another pot of coffee now.

As mentioned earlier in this thread, a Burr blade is best. From what I understand it is non metal, and doesen't heat the coffee up during the grinding process. Costco has a cuisinart burr grinder for 29 bux. Good deal for the money and yields good results.

I've got a burr mill grinder and have been quite satisfied with it.

One thing I found, though, at least on mine (DeLonghi)- the opening just above the burrs needs to occasionally have the extra-fine duff cleaned out from it, otherwise the beans don't drop effectively. I often have to shake my mill for best results (am I allowed to say that here?).

I'm not sure why you guys so despise the blade grinders. I've got a cheapo Braun blade grinder that serves me very well. I've had good coffee & very bad coffee, & the stuff that comes out of my grinder is definitely VERY GOOD coffee.

The claim is that blade grinders heat up the coffee too much. I've seen testing that shows some grinders heat it up 5-10F, and apparently that hurts the oils or something. I have a Cuisinart burr type, and I am amazed at how loud it is. Also seems that the grinding yields coffee that isn't very consistant, some coarse and some very fine when set to medium......... Just some of my observations. I like it overall.

I have a Zassenhaus hand grinder that I use every single day. I bought mine through esspressozone.com

http://www.espressozone.com/hand-coffee-mills.html

I have the 161MA which is an open hopper with a brass hopper. I like it and have been using it fot about 8 months. It's the only grinder that I own.

It's a quality conical burr grinder, and it's mechinism is guarenteed for 10 years. I highly recommend them.

You can grind as many ounces of coffee you hand can stand to turn, you just have to dump the drawer and refill the top with more beans.

But generally, the top will hold about 6oz of beans and the bottom will hold about 3 oz or so of ground beans.

Oh and I chose the 161MA because it has the open top, which is easy for cleaning out (my beans are very oily) and I can see the beans going down, which is fun to me.

Didn't my link say where I bought it?

Anyhow the grinder arrived. It grinds GREAT. Cleaning it is a total pain, but for under $100 it seems you don't get much. I like all the settings, the timer thing is a bit weird.

Enjoying the excellent results.

quote:

Originally posted by Pablo:
Didn't my link say where I bought it?

Anyhow the grinder arrived. It grinds GREAT. Cleaning it is a total pain, but for under $100 it seems you don't get much. I like all the settings, the timer thing is a bit weird.

Enjoying the excellent results.

LOL - sorry, Pablo, I didn't even look at the link - I was in a hurry...
smile.gif

Great minds and all. I have a couple of reviews on there from a couple years back - good site.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back