Coffee and cream, now what should I do?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a splitter with an olde B&S 5hp I/C engine with the oil guard. I admit I hadn't run it in since last fall. Kept it under a tarp outside. So, I started it, coated all of the rust with a preservative, and split a piece of wood just to verify all is well. I figured I'd change the oil so I let the engine run while I did something else, would also give me room for new gas in the tank I thought.
It cut off. I'd noticed oil and dirt mix on the axle, and figured the oil had seeped out enough to be too low and the oil guard cut it off. Partially right. When I took out the drain plug, it was all coffee with lots of cream. I had to find out if it was seized, and it turns with the pull rope. One problem down!
What should I do now? How do I flush the bad oil/water mix out? I have a can of fogging oil, should I put that in the crankcase?

Use some cheap oil and change it. Twice if it makes you feel better. Let it get good and hot to burn off any moisture in the motor. Throw some fresh gas with stabilizer in it and wait for fall.,,

Originally Posted By: BigCahuna
Use some cheap oil and change it. Twice if it makes you feel better. Let it get good and hot to burn off any moisture in the motor. Throw some fresh gas with stabilizer in it and wait for fall.,,

Roger that and thanks!

Put the fresh oil in the engine and run it for a long enough time to evaporate any residual moisture from the undrainable oil.
Put the engine to work, since this will help it to reach and maintain operating temperature.
Since you have a log splitter I'll guess that you have logs to split.

Change oil and go split some logs. Then check the oil for any contamination and change again if you think it needs it

Originally Posted By: toneydoc
Change oil and go split some logs. Then check the oil for any contamination and change again if you think it needs it

This. It will definitely burn off all the moisture compared to just running it until it gets hot. I would do it at least a few times.. But I like slightly overdoing things.

Same thing happened with the girlfriend's parent's tiller. It still had the factory oil and was a dark coffee color with a trace of cream. We changed it with some old SL PYB her dad had laying around then tilled up the garden, which was about an hr of use. Changed the oil and repeated the process. She's all clean now. There is no better cleaner than some quality oil IMO.

Update: I had to change the oil twice to get all of the "stuff" from sitting so long. It starts with one pull, and the third oil change came out normal. My thanks again for the replies.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back