Cockpit voice recorder

Someone asked a question regarding CVR information and wondered why the public would be allowed to listen to very disturbing , and personal, information on the CVR.

This will hopefully explain things.

As per the article, the NTSB never release the confidential and protected CVR to the public.

There are no valid reasons why the public need to listen to a CVR ( any ) after it makes its way onto the internet, except curiosity.

All the public needs to do is read the accident report.

Thats the “ common sense” answer.

Last edited:
I read a book way back in the day that was a print out of the CVR recordings. I don't remember the number of the transcripts, but it was detailed. Literally right up until the recordings stopped.

Most were very professional under the circumstances. Some were very sad, and others were panic filled.

I have never forgotten reading that. The professionalism of most of the pilots was amazing. Literally trying everything they could right up to the end of the recording.

My grandpa was an exec at Aero Spacelines after leaving Boeing in 1968. He was very good friends with Van Shepard and had to listen to the CVR when the Mini Guppy crashed in 1970. He said it was the most difficult thing he ever had to listen to.

Back