Cobalt Post-Use Filter Observations

Status
Not open for further replies.
Since my fiance's Cobalt is so easy to work on and analyze the filters post-use, I've been keeping track of how well the various brands I've used have held up.

My winners are the ACDelco, Champ, and Napa Gold thus far. All of them held up well with regards to how the pleats looked after use. They did have some contorting, but it wasn't bad. The best-looking one was the Champ with regards to the condition of the pleats. There was almost no visible contortion.

I've only had one UOA done on this, but the Napa Gold had incredibly low insoluables. I would say that is great filtration!

I currently have a PureONE in now that I'm anxious to see once it's been used as well.

The worst I've seen was a Fram. I pulled one of these out of my neighbor's Cobalt, and the media looked like it was starting to tear apart after 4,000 miles.

Those are just my casual observations. They may or may not mean anything, but I thought you all would enjoy the read. Cheers!

How are you cutting these open? I can get the champion and purolators open with a can opener, but not the Wix/Napa Gold/Car Quests....

I have used a bunch of Purolators recently thanks to AAP letting me have an L 15435 as part of a deal with 5 quarts of oil. They have come out more crumpled that anything else I have used. I think they are slightly too tall and are compacted as I tighten the cover up. I don't see that as a problem as long as it isn't so much as to distort the end cap or damage the pleats.

I've used the Pure Ones exclusively in my Cobalt. They do come out a little crumpled but not damaged. I haven't figured out why they do that since its the plastic skeleton of the filter that gives it its strength. The O-ring on the little nipple on the bottom fits snugle in the hole in the bottom of the casting but there seems to be plenty of room, up and down, in the hole to accomodate variations in filter heights.

Originally Posted By: labman
I have used a bunch of Purolators recently thanks to AAP letting me have an L 15435 as part of a deal with 5 quarts of oil. They have come out more crumpled that anything else I have used. I think they are slightly too tall and are compacted as I tighten the cover up. I don't see that as a problem as long as it isn't so much as to distort the end cap or damage the pleats.

+1, I have one in my garage from the oil change in my saab... I was going to post it but havent had time...

one of these days Ill post the pic.

I stick with the AC Delcos in my Saturn Aura's Ecotec. For $4.39 at AAP, you can't go wrong. They are made by Hengst, the same company that designed the oil filter housing.

Well, I started with Delcos...did pretty good.

Then I put the Cav and Cobalt on a diet of Wix filters (Wix, Napa Golds, Mastercraft) with good results...

With the good deal at AAP with the AC Delco, I'm going with both the wix and delcos...

First delco I bought at AAP goes in the Cobalt w/PP (replacing M1-trying this too!) next oil change, early next month....

My last oil change, i used a napa proselect filter, for a 95 neon, 3614's. After 3 months and 1,000 miles (stop n go traffic) i hacked it open..and this my first time i ever saw the fitler media sagging off the bottom fo the filter! Well, not sagging, but it was 'bending' towards the top. Kinda spokoed me out!

Originally Posted By: brian12

You tease us and then don't provide any pics. The thread isn't worth much without them.

+1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back