Coates tire changer?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've done... no joke... 40 tires in the 9 years since I got my HF tire changer. Maybe closer to 80. Always putting slightly better rubber on various beaters that curse my driveway.

It's all in the technique, not the tool.

I usually use a flat pry bar for most of the work instead of the huge basher included, BTW.

If nothing else you'll find more online support for the HF dealie.

I'd worry more about balancing.
wink.gif

I have used that type of tire changer for many many years, and they work great. the balancer, not so much. I have never been fond of bubble balancers.

Interesting. How did we manage before spin balances?

I'm not against the hf one, looks like it would do the job, and I'm tempted to try the bubble balance, if nothing else hopefully some tires would balance ok. Walmart for the ones that won't I guess.

Guy still has it. Around 75 pounds though. Need to think about that. The hf one would work better for me I'm guessing, as I'd move it around a lot (no place to leave set up).

If you don't mind wrestling with it on the ground, you can just use a jack under the hitch of a vehicle to break the bead and go from there.

I use either the stock "bottle" screw jack with my Cherokee or the hi-lift jack.

Though, sometimes, I need to put it under the back of the F350 since some places use so much bead sealant it picks the Cherokee off the ground before I break the bead.

A little too much work for me to do that trick Miller, nothing against it but I'd rather have a tool to make it easier. [But it's probably a good reminder for really stubborn tires.] And then mount tires too. Ideally I'd do three sets in the next month or two--both cars need tires, and then ideally a set of snows for the truck.

Trying to balance effort against time and cost. I'd like to do my vehicle stuff on the weekends when I have time, but not drive an hour to a tire shop, spend an hour there, then an hour home.

Wasn't sure if this was a case where good 'ole American iron would be superior to import chinesium.

I've had a HF changer since 1999,changed a bazillion tires.I had to reinforce the demount/mount tool as it bent,but otherwise it was a $69.95 well spent.

Originally Posted By: supton
A little too much work for me to do that trick Miller, nothing against it but I'd rather have a tool to make it easier. [But it's probably a good reminder for really stubborn tires.] And then mount tires too. Ideally I'd do three sets in the next month or two--both cars need tires, and then ideally a set of snows for the truck.

Trying to balance effort against time and cost. I'd like to do my vehicle stuff on the weekends when I have time, but not drive an hour to a tire shop, spend an hour there, then an hour home.

Wasn't sure if this was a case where good 'ole American iron would be superior to import chinesium.

You don't have to worry about going to the gym!!

Originally Posted By: Miller88

You don't have to worry about going to the gym!!

I know I'm probably doing it wrong but it feels like a great way to bend one's spine sideways.
crazy2.gif

I say, whatever tool you get, get it, get some mail order tires, you'll be hooked. If you do your own maintenance "except for tires" you'll feel like you really accomplished something.

Originally Posted By: supton

Not sure what your situation is, but I typically call Discount Tire a few days prior and make an appointment. It's a 10 minute drive there, and they typically get me in pretty close to the appointment start time.

Garage down the street will mnt/bal tires for $20/tire; but generally it's a "drop it off and we'll call you when it's done" affair. [Only they never seem to remember to call.] They don't sell tires either.

Otherwise it's about 35miles or so to Walmart/etc. So about 40-45 minutes each way. In the past I've tried to hit whatever tire shop I decided to use first thing in the morning; get there early, get in line. Wait an hour, then finish going to work. It works ok, but if I can save on $15-20/tire mnt/bal, and not deal with doing nothing in the waiting room, well, that's a win.

I don't think I've ever made an appointment at tire shops for tires, but IMO it's foolish to not anticipate an hour's wait while at a shop. It's simply the way it goes.

There's a few downsides to living in the middle of nowhere. This being one of the big ones!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back