Coastal Unilube motor oil info..

Status
Not open for further replies.

JTK

I was itching for more information on this oil and contacted coastal through the www.coastalunilube.com site. I actually got an informative & professional response back right away! Seems like a great company to deal with. Here's the Coastal Premium Motor Oil product data sheet they sent me: www.geocities.com/slappyj1/coastalsloils.pdf I've used this oil in several vehicles and it performed well in them. Autozone typically sells it for under a $1/qt.
Joel

Couldn't read your Yahoo link.

Advance's house brand is also Coastal. Don't like the idea that they put "compare to Havoline" on the bottle, that's misleading.

Drove by the Coastal refinery in Memphis a couple of months ago.

There is absolutely no mention of the
FULL SYNTHETIC that I'm trying out at the moment.
I wonder why?

JTK, Those flash points are some of the lowest I've ever seen in the SL API spec. It just doesn't look that impressive on paper. What vehicles are you using this oil in? Any UOA's?

I just have a problem using cheap oils. Kinda goes back to the old saying "you get what you pay for". This has changed somewhat with my recent obsession with BradPenn. The only reason I took an interest in that oil was because the old Kendall formula was sold with the refinery & not the Kendall name. I'm kinda hoping BradPenn is gonna be as good as Kendall used to be.

I have heard of many people using Coastal without problems, but I just can't bring myself to do it.

ToyotaNSaturn- I've used this oil in a 1993 Nissan Sentra 1.6L, a 1998 chev K1500 4.3L and a 2003 Buick Rendezvous 3.4L. 10w-30 in all of'em Mileage in these vehicles range from 17K-140Kmi. It didn't burn off or cause any issues for any of them @ a 3-4Kmi OCI. No UOA's. I definately would not stretch it past 4K though. Sorry about the data sheet link not popping up. I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong there
rolleyes.gif
confused.gif
It works if you chop off the coastalsloils.pdf & go in that way?!?
dunno.gif
Sorry guys.

Joel

quote:

Originally posted by csandste:
Couldn't read your Yahoo link.

Advance's house brand is also Coastal. Don't like the idea that they put "compare to Havoline" on the bottle, that's misleading.

Drove by the Coastal refinery in Memphis a couple of months ago.

where in Memphis did you see it? I thought it was based in West Memphis, ark

I am leary of them. There are a lot of cheap Coastal products in this market, I know of someone who destroyed a Mercedes Automatic transmision with it. Maybe they make something decent, but how can you have two standards?

quote:

Originally posted by ToyotaNSaturn:
JTK, Those flash points are some of the lowest I've ever seen in the SL API spec.

What? Are we looking at the same product data sheet? With the exception of the 5W-30 weight oil, all are in excess of 400 degrees F. Even at that, the 5W-30 is still at 390 F. I don't see anything about these specs to tempt me away from Chevron Supreme, but, like ANY "SL" rated oil in the proper viscosity range, it'll likely be adequate to run 4,000 miles in engines calling for that service category. We can read, interpret, and debate these specs 'til the cow comes home, but, it'll be a UOA that tells more about what this blend is really capable (or incapable) of.

Coastal Premium conventional motor oil MSDS and Coastal Premium Synthetic Blend motor oil MSDS.

The conventional motor oils are notable in that they use solvent dewaxed (Group I) lube base stocks and no Group IIs. I was under the (apparantly mistaken) impression that ALL current conventional motor oils were at least a Group-I/Group-II blend of base stocks and the better ones all Group-II or Group-II/Group-II+ base stock blends. The synthetic blend motor oils use both solvent dewaxed (Group I) lube base stocks and PAO (Group IV) lube base stocks in percentages of >65% Group I and 20% Group IV. This seems to support my opinion above that the Coastal conventional motor oils are adequate, but better can be had at slighlty higher price. I'm surprised that any Group I based motor oil would present flash points this high. This isn't really a bad motor oil. It just isn't a great motor oil. It would have to be sold at an exceptional price to justify taking up shelf space when the likes of Chevron Supreme Havoline can still be had at attractive pricing when and where available at mass merchandisers such as Wally*World.

[ December 16, 2003, 09:36 PM: Message edited by: Ray H ]

quote:

Originally posted by Ray H:
Coastal Premium conventional motor oil MSDS and Coastal Premium Synthetic Blend motor oil MSDS.

The conventional motor oils are notable in that they use solvent dewaxed (Group I) lube base stocks and no Group IIs. I was under the (apparantly mistaken) impression that ALL current conventional motor oils were at least a Group-I/Group-II blend of base stocks and the better ones all Group-II or Group-II/Group-II+ base stock blends. The synthetic blend motor oils use both solvent dewaxed (Group I) lube base stocks and PAO (Group IV) lube base stocks in percentages of >65% Group I and 20% Group IV. This seems to support my opinion above that the Coastal conventional motor oils are adequate, but better can be had at slighlty higher price. I'm surprised that any Group I based motor oil would present flash points this high. This isn't really a bad motor oil. It just isn't a great motor oil. It would have to be sold at an exceptional price to justify taking up shelf space when the likes of Chevron Supreme Havoline can still be had at attractive pricing when and where available at mass merchandisers such as Wally*World.

I'd be interested to know about the FULL Synthetic
oil, since the BLEND has group IV is the FULL also group IV?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back