Coastal Oil Recall

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, since the issue is a cold start problem, I would venture out and say they forgot to add the pour depressants to the mix
grin.gif

I wondered who made the Advance Auto brand oil -- now I know. It is Coastal Unilube.

The label on the bottle compares the oil to Havoline but then says in fine print there is no affiliation.

This illustrates the importance of buying oil (or anything, really) with a good brand name from a reputable manufacturer. The possible small savings one gets from a generic product is not offset by the risk of poor peformance and/or damage.

quote:

Originally posted by Pablo:
I wonder how long they last??? I wonder if it has oil in it??? Who cares?

The person who is buying it.
Former rental cars are often bought by young families ona budget, that what a newish car but can't afford a new one.

Abusing these cars is not a victimeless crime.
When I drive a rental I drive it as if it were my own car as should anyone else.

Fred...
frown.gif

[ January 01, 2004, 01:56 PM: Message edited by: palmerwmd ]

Well I'm thoroughly confused
confused.gif
. When I asked advance auto parts who makes their oil, they directed me to 3E who handles their MSDS's. 3E Company mailed me a copy of the MSDS for advance auto's 10w-30 oil which clearly states it's manufactured & supplied by BP/Amoco of Cleveland Ohio? Could it be possible the 5w-30 comes from a totally different company?? Lesson learned. You don't know what you are getting with off-brand/house brand oils
rolleyes.gif
It's not worth a few dimes per quart in cost savings
pat.gif
Joel

Fred - sorry, but I'm not feeling too guilty. I drive the car the same as 95% of the population in general (cars they "own"). Buyer beware. I don't hit curbs, or purposely trash the car, but I don't wait for the car to warm up either.

A crime? Give me a break. Sheesh. The crime is what they are charging for 2 weeks+ rental...but I came willingly. Just as "young families" aren't forced to buy used rentals either.

quote:

Originally posted by sbc350gearhead:
-*-*which has been run to death, and the hood has never been opened, except by the used car dealer, who drain the 40000 mile old sludge from the engine, ran a flush though it and stuck it on the used car lot?

You got it.
I was going to buy one recently. ALL the fliuids APPEARED NEW, ALL fluids... That got me thinking... too good to be true.
I used my FINGER, in front of the salesman, and PLACED my finger to the bottom of the brake fluid, and on my nail out comes Black GOO, the same for the oil... I still took her out for a joy ride, but no way was I falling for that.

BTW FYI, when I did this you should of seen the salesmans EYES pop out of his head, he just walked off, BTW he already gave me the keys for the "DRIVE" :-} and man those shocks/struts were DEAD, and needed an alignment, and squeeked like it may need balljoints or a chassy lube... Anyone that would believe all the fluids are new, and finds problems like that, even without being a mechanic, is asking for it!

For fun I found the Coastal website, and they don't mention that their primary oil (Coastal Premium) is API rated, SL or otherwise. Don't know what the bottles say. Turns out that more than a few "no name" oils are SA/SB or other old-spec'd oils, and that several states' consumer affairs offices have slapped these firms on the knuckles for their marketing/labeling methods. http://www.coastalunilube.com/products/motoroils.htm

The irony about no-name brands of oil is that "SL" name brands actually cost LESS then Coastal, Moto-Lube, Spectrum, Chalet, etc., at least for those who read the Sunday paper. A no-name might cost maybe $1.10-$1.60, something like that..? On any given day, at least for those who read the Sunday flyers, one can find something akin to Havoline, Pennzoil, Valvoline, etc. on sale for about the same price, and well under a buck if a rebate is offered. I know two places that sell Shell and Citgo (both SL) for $1/qt, everday price. For newspaper and flyer reading folks, the no-name oils literally serve no purpose, cost or otherwise.

another reason to avoid rental cars....

The rental Buick I have been living in for the last 2 weeks? 3.4 V6 is floored regularly by yours truly on stone cold mornings....will turn it in tomorrow AM. I wonder how long they last??? I wonder if it has oil in it??? Who cares?

Avoid rental cars eh. Which is worse, a rental car that has been run to death, but regularly maintained by the rental company using crappy materials, or a 2 year old yuppiemobile which the owner trades in every 2 years, and which has been run to death, and the hood has never been opened, except by the used car dealer, who drain the 40000 mile old sludge from the engine, ran a flush though it and stuck it on the used car lot?

quote:

Avoid rental cars eh. Which is worse, a rental car that has been run to death, but regularly maintained by the rental company using crappy materials, or a 2 year old yuppiemobile which the owner trades in every 2 years, and which has been run to death, and the hood has never been opened, except by the used car dealer, who drain the 40000 mile old sludge from the engine, ran a flush though it and stuck it on the used car lot?

You got it, thats why I buy New!

"This illustrates the importance of buying oil (or anything, really) with a good brand name from a reputable manufacturer. The possible small savings one gets from a generic product is not offset by the risk of poor peformance and/or damage."

Remember Fram is "THE" brand name in oil filters. I think every case has to be judged on its merit.

This isn't a small company. At the time of the merger El Paso Company had over $10 billion in sales and Coastal almost $9 billion. I note that El Paso is selling off some refinery capacity by getting rid of a Coastal unit in Texas. I always wonder about worker sabotage when someone is about to lose their job. Just conjecture.

In the past 10 years I have purchased two used cars for kids, one with a rental car history the other a fleet company car from an insurance company. Both, although not maintatined to my liking, performed equally well and had no long term reliability issues. One at 30,000 miles the other at 49,000.

As much as we want to bash poor maintenance, other then not changing the oil it is tough to kill an engine in 50,000 miles today. Rental and fleets push the limits on oil changes but at least tehy get them done as comapred to the lease owners or soccer moms.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back