Coalition Seeks FTC Review of Dexos

Status
Not open for further replies.
i think most people here knew dexos was a load of [censored] in non turbo engines anyways...if i buy a GM again i am putting whatever SN oil i feel like

speaking of a load of bull, why would that term in letters be censored...lighten up, francis

the whole dexos thing is garbage....any sn should make but gm is just trying to get the licensing cash, then make more on blaming any engine damages they see to some people not using dexos

Sounds like GM is trying to pull a fast one on everyone by making TONS on the average oil change, and by turning down engine damage claims under warranty because they didn't use their expensive unnecessary OEM oil, because the average consumer doesn't know any better..

In a time where even changing tires from OEM to aftermarket causes warranty's to be voided, people are beginning to catch on to the greed of these company's and will likely switch to foreign brands...

where are the amsoil guys on this one? "your manufacturer can't void your warranty based on the oil you use" is usually their first comment!

"Now all of a sudden they’re going to have to pay for an oil change that’s maybe $30, $50, $60 more than what they’re used to."

PP 5W-30 $23.50 for 5 qts. @ Walmart. Dexos approved. I have a 2010 Chevy and was using it anyway. How is an oil change going to cost $60 more? Even if you bought the oil and took it to the dealer to have them install it, the most it could cost more than a regular oil change is $23.50. Right?
I don't understand this hysteria.

Good for Valvoline I think. It is GM so why is this confusing??? Either way as always the GM idea is tails we win heads you lose.

Originally Posted By: ems1
"Now all of a sudden they’re going to have to pay for an oil change that’s maybe $30, $50, $60 more than what they’re used to."

PP 5W-30 $23.50 for 5 qts. @ Walmart. Dexos approved. I have a 2010 Chevy and was using it anyway. How is an oil change going to cost $60 more? Even if you bought the oil and took it to the dealer to have them install it, the most it could cost more than a regular oil change is $23.50. Right?
I don't understand this hysteria.

Most people do not change their own oil. Even fewer buy the oil at Walmart and take it somewhere to get changed. Me and my neighbor are the only ones in our neighborhood that change our own oil. Most people either go to the dealer for oil change or go to the quick lube around the corner.

If I understand this right, the problem is the quick lube places are having to pay more for Dexos licensed oils, while the dealers are getting the same oil at a discount. So the quick lube places are having to pass this expense to the consumer, which upsets them and turns people back to the dealers. So naturally, the quick lube industry is upset about this, as they are losing a lot of business. And since Valvoline is a big player in the quick lube industry, they are supporting these claims as well.

Last edited:
I didn't know dexos2 was a diesel spec. This could get as muddy as DOT 3,4,5,5.1 brake fluid as time passes.

Originally Posted By: chet2
i think most people here knew dexos was a load of [censored] in non turbo engines anyways...if i buy a GM again i am putting whatever SN oil i feel like

I agree that dexos is [censored]. I just bought a turbocharged Cruze so I will use synthetic oil only. I'm not concerned whether it has the dexos1 cert. or not. Valvoline Synpower meets the specs but isn't certified because Ashland refuses to pay the 'tribute' to GM.
My friend just bought an Equinox with the Ecotec. If I were him I would use any SM or SN rated oil (dino or synthetic). Ecotecs have done very well on just about any oil put in them. What GM should have done was require GM4718 oil (synthetic) in the new turbo engines. I guess they saw an opportunity to make $$$ with the dexos licensing fees.

PS: Both my friend and I bought GMs (only) because of the large GM card and owner loyalty incentives. I had sworn off GM but $4000 made me blink.

Originally Posted By: kemo
where are the amsoil guys on this one? "your manufacturer can't void your warranty based on the oil you use" is usually their first comment!

i', sure ams easily meets dexos specs......but i doubt they are going to pay for licensing and pass it on to us......i don't know much about the sn spec but i'll bet most if not all sm/sn oils would pass for dexos

I hope Castrol and ConocoPhillips also pursue this matter also. With Valvoline, those are three very large players in the consumer motor oil market.

Originally Posted By: kemo

That is true......

FTC Consumer Alert

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back