co-workers Ram

Status
Not open for further replies.
My coworker has a 2006 Dodge Ram with the Hemi, he jost told me he purchased it with 17,000 miles, it now has 148,000. Since purchase he has never done any tranny service. He states it slips a bit in reverse, and it sometimes hesitates just a bit once its been put in gear.

He says, never done the spark plugs
never done the coolant
never done the tranny fluid.
never done the front or rear differential
never done the transfer case
pretty much never done anything other than full syn oil changes every 3,000 miles..... yes I laughed out load at that...

The pressing topic is the transmission, should he get a service done ASAP or let it ride at this point ??

What say you ??

Last edited:
I am of the belief that fresh ATF will never hurt any transmission that still moves the vehicle. If your are pushing the vehicle to the garage all bets are off. Some shops will not do any service as they just do not want the liability.

A Magnefine filter would also be a good idea.

Wipe some ATF on a new white coffee filter to get a good idea of the color. While color is not everything, if it looks like driveway sealer, then the ATF should be changed.

Probably needs 3-4 atf drain and fills spaced out at least 500 miles apart. If Maxlife atf meets the oem specs I'd probably go with that.

Originally Posted By: Donald
I am of the belief that fresh ATF will never hurt any transmission that still moves the vehicle. If your are pushing the vehicle to the garage all bets are off. Some shops will not do any service as they just do not want the liability.

A Magnefine filter would also be a good idea.

Wipe some ATF on a new white coffee filter to get a good idea of the color. While color is not everything, if it looks like driveway sealer, then the ATF should be changed.

Same. If he changes the fluid and it fails next week, it was destined to fail next week.

Originally Posted By: bdcardinal
I would refer to the old saying "no good deed goes unpunished" and slowly back away.

A BIG +1. I would just say that's cool and walk away. No suggestions, advise, or anything else for that matter.

Originally Posted By: satinsilver
Probably needs 3-4 atf drain and fills spaced out at least 500 miles apart. If Maxlife atf meets the oem specs I'd probably go with that.

I would think a full pan drop would be the way to go. ?.?.?.? filter exchange would be on my mind, esp with this many miles

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
I would refer to the old saying "no good deed goes unpunished" and slowly back away.

A BIG +1. I would just say that's cool and walk away. No suggestions, advise, or anything else for that matter.

I laughed and told him im just a shade tree hobby guy, go talk to a certified mechanic, and follow their advice..

My shark tank reply:
You ignored the value of ordinary vehicle maintenance which clearly shows your lack of commitment to the well being of the vehicle and safety of your family that rides in it. I should just stomp you like a cockroach ...you're dead to me ...and for that reason ...I'm out.

Last edited:
If it were mine I'd D&R the tranny a few times, change the plugs, flush the cooling system and change those other fluids....it may last another 148K.

Originally Posted By: OtisBlkR1
Originally Posted By: demarpaint

I laughed and told him im just a shade tree hobby guy, go talk to a certified mechanic, and follow their advice..

Smart!!!!!!!!!!! Real Smart!!!!!!!!!
thumbsup2.gif

That's EXACTLY the situation I'm in with the XJ in my sig-unknown maintenance history, fluid pretty dark (but not burnt), 220K & still going. Granted it's an AW, but I'm afraid to do anything other than put an external filter on it & clean it SLOWLY!

If it were my vehicle, I'd do one drain and fill on the ATF and change the ATF filter too. I'd wait on doing a second ATF drain and fill until I felt everything was good (few months, or at least 1k miles). I'd also change the other fluids you mentioned, and also the brake fluid since that probably hasn't been changed either.

I'd also see about the rebate someone else mentioned on here.

Now if it were my coworker's vehicle, I'd do exactly what you did. Tell them to take it to a trusted shop, and back away slowly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back