CNBC - How Odometer Fraud Became A $1 Billion Problem

The intro to the classic movie "Used Cars" is of a guy rolling an odometer back.
I remember some cars where you could use a piece of stiff wire and reach behind the dash and change the odometer... Some were very skilled at doing it fast... This is on the old style none electronic type with gears..

In the last few months I've been looking for a new "Used" vehicle to replace my old Explorer. On thing I noticed on FB market place is, just about every pick up truck from New York had alot less miles on the same year and type of vehicle, from New Jersey. Say if you look at a 2012 ford pickup in NJ had say 170k miles on it, the same type of one from NY, would have 92k on it. Started looking fishy to me.,,

It's difficult with modern cars. For example, BMWs store the mileage in the gauge cluster, the lighting control module and the keys. If there is a mismatch a "tamper dot" is illuminated in the gauge cluster. Also, the car's information, including mileage, is collected from the key and stored each time the car goes to the dealer. Is it possible to roll back the odometer in a modern bimmer? Yes, buy you need the proper software, and you need all of the keys. But, you can't change the data collected by the dealer.

Back