Clutch release bearing, plastic/composite?

I always had good luck with LUK so I ordered a new clutch in anticipation of a 5 speed for the GTO coming next month. I was surprised to see the throw-out bearing included was manufactured using a plastic or composite inner sleeve. Looked and felt cheap to me. My gut said to get a different one so I picked up a Timkin. Anyone have any experience with plastic TO bearings?

Attachments

• brg2.jpg
    brg2.jpg
    84.9 KB · Views: 52
  • brg1.jpg
    brg1.jpg
    144.6 KB · Views: 52
I guess the plus side of the plastic part is if the bearings decides to lock up it it’s the going to tear up the throw out arm.

Most I have seen have been composite for years....steel on steel(the collar bearing slides on) have a tendency to stick/bind/chew up the bearing and collar.

When I replaced the clutch in my Mazda I read about folks throwing the Exedy release bearing in the trash that came with the kit because it was made in China and getting a OEM Mazda bearing. My theory is if I am trusting this company to provide me a decent clutch kit I'm going to assume the parts in the kit are good enough to do the job. A clutch is a hard enough job everyone should do whatever makes them feel best though.

probably nylon. which is plenty tough for the draw-back function of the throw-out bearing. never bought one myself. Nylon thingy like that. I dislike all OEM plastic vacuum switches & ports/valves.
At least this thing is hiding in there for 188k miles or however long it takes to expend a clutch disc....... : l

I also prefer LUK clutch parts and just today did a Corolla. The LUK kit had a metal release bearing. I have not seen an application yet that LUK had a plastic/nylon part. If I come across one I will use it with confidence and not worry.

Back