Clutch problems

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'll start with the car and describe the problem. Its a 99 Acura cl 2.3 with a 5 speed trans it has 210,xxx miles on it. And I can't get it into any gear when its running. If it's not running there isn't a problem getting it into any gear. More details, it had its clutch replaced about 8,000 miles ago as well as the slave cylinder. If you would like to know anything else about the car just ask. Thanks for the all the help Guys!

Sure sign of not releasing properly. After that kind of mileage I'd start suspecting a worn out slave or master cylinder. Since the slave was replaced not that long ago, maybe the master is going. Are you losing clutch fluid? If not, you could try bleeding it.

Originally Posted By: J_Myler
I'm not losing any fluid I thought of bleeding it and adjusting the clutch peddle to see if that helps but I didn't want to make it worse.

Should be no need to adjust the PEDAL, since hydraulic clutches are inherently self-adjusting. Trying to extend the master cylinder pushrod would more likely block the port to the reservoir, and then you'll have bigger problems, but still won't change the amount of travel of the slave cylinder. I think you'll find there probably isn't any adjustment on the pedal anyway.

Air would be a likely suspect, but air getting in also points to potential problems with the master or slave.

Possible. I suppose if the primary piston seal was leaking the fluid could seep back into the reservoir when the pedal is depressed, and you might never see fluid leaking out.

Only other things that come to mind are broken clutch springs or worn pivots in the clutch arm or pedal linkage, but I think you'd be hearing noises, and you'd have to pull the engine or transmission to get to the clutch side of things.

I like to adjust a pedal for zero or almost zero freeplay. A quick and complete release is assured.
Faulty master or slave, or improper bleeding sem very likely as potential problems for these symptoms.

I just looked on Rock Auto. It appears it has an external slave cylinder, not one that's integrated with the throwout bearing. That's good, since the slave will be way easier to replace, likely, than the type that's integrated with the throwout bearing.

So, if you press the clutch, can you see the slave cylinder move? Can you manually move the clutch release arm?

It looks like a new master and slave would only be about $60 + shipping on Rock Auto. It probably wouldn't be a bad idea to replace the hose, too.

Originally Posted By: stephen9666

So, if you press the clutch, can you see the slave cylinder move?

Genius! that will probably rule out hydraulics, especially if you can actually see the slave cylinder piston move the clutch fork. Did the car sit for a while? Could the clutch plate be stuck or rusted to the flywheel?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back