clutch issue, 2000 Wrangler

My BIL bought a well-used 2000 Wrangler 4 cyl. He drove it across town to our place, then left it here until he could come back with a trailer (he lives about 3 hours away), and said the clutch acted up once. I drove it into our driveway after he left, and at first the clutch would not release. Messed around with it and then it started working for no apparent reason, and I drove it in the driveway without issue. I checked the fluid in the MC (full). Today he came to get it and we bled the system, which went well, and it didn't appear like there had been any air in it. When he went to drive it on the trailer, again, the clutch wouldn't release.

Summary: 1. He drove it across town to our place and the clutch failed to release once.
2. Later that day when I tried to move it, the clutch wouldn't release, but then mysteriously fixed itself.
3. Today it worked intermittently, but most of the time wouldn't release.

The previous owner tells him the clutch was replaced 6 months ago, but I have my doubts. In all my years of working on vehicles, I've never seen intermittent operation like this. Any thoughts? Thanks!

Intermittent...odd

Start simple. When it isn't releasing, are you getting a full stroke from the master and slave cylinders? Have someone look at the action when operating the pedal. If not, suspect problems w/ the cylinders or hose. If everything looks hunky dory, then the problem is probably within the bellhousing, the driven plate is binding somewhere... Did the vehicle sit for a long time before being driven??

Saw something similar once on a Brit car where the input shaft splines were damaged from not being properly lubricated.

Sachs has a great reference on clutch tech and tips; Sachs Clutch

Sounds like if it was done maybe someone incompetent did it. I’m not a very good transmission guy but I think we can narrow down to it not being the slave cylinder or master cylinder.

Back