Clutch fluid change?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Guys,
I changed my clutch out in my 2002 Camaro (36,000mi) and it's working much nicer with the new Spec-II heavy duty clutch. However, the fluid looks pretty nasty for such low miles. When do you manual owners flush your fluid? It doesn't look like it holds very much at all.

i dont know about camaros but on hondas and mazdas the clutches are so easy to bleed that i do them once a year.
just crack open a bleeder line and let gravity change out the fluid.

I flush my system yearly or even more. I buy a large bottle of Valvoline Synpower DOT IV and go at it. I flush the system using the whole bottle. DOT IV also has a higher boiling point that DOT III,so if you race or the like it helps. If your V6 bleeder valve is in the same position as my LS1 then it's a *****! The valve is in the tranny tunnel and it's almost impossible to see. Many LS1 owners drill a 1" hole thru the tunnel and it makes bleeding the system a godsend. I found a 1" rubber plug for the hole at Lowe's and once plugged it's looks factory. With the carpet overtop, no one but me knows its there.

Just don't try to save leftover fluid from a big bottle til the next time. It will have absorbed too much water.
I change whenever it looks dark or cloudy.

I ran my 92 Grand Am 180 K and 10 years on the factory fill and never saw any problems. Flushing the clutch is likely even more useless than the brakes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back