Clueless driver almost hit me, then yelled at me.

I run into situations like this regularly. It is just crazy. People apparently are not engaged driving.

Originally Posted by Alfred_B
Originally Posted by Zaedock
Dummies are all over. It sucks.

In Boston, we simply give the finger and continue on our way. If we stopped every time a moron nearly hits us, we'd never get anywhere.

Why I like NE. Very straight forward communication.

Correct! And these guys commenting from NY. Well, we just flip these guys off anyway when we see them, just because they're from NY.

j/k NY folks. My wife and I brought our whole family to NYC for Xmas and it was awesome. Can't imagine NYC folks riding out the last few months. F Covid. God Bless NYC.

Originally Posted by y_p_w
I was on the way home going through a residential neighborhood. I was minding my own business driving straight. It was a typical intersection around here with a two-way stop, and no stop in my direction. I was actually going rather slow - maybe 20 MPH as I knew this was near a playground even though it would theoretically be closed these days. I did see the vehicle to my left stopped at the sign. Didn't seem anything unusual until the driver started accelerating, then slammed on the brakes just before potentially T-boning my car right on the front driver's door and possibly then me with my kid in the front passenger seat. Then I stop up ahead and try to suss out what the problem is. I yell something out the window. Might have been "What the h***!" Then she's turned right, stops, and starts yelling at me as if I did something wrong. There are 4-way stop intersections in this neighborhood, but not at this particular intersection.

It just boggles the mind that anyone would be so clueless as to not understand how a two-way stop intersection works. This was a pretty basic driver's test situation.

Probably a phone yielding millenial not paying attention and not having the character to admit they were wrong.

Originally Posted by Lubener
Probably a phone yielding millenial not paying attention and not having the character to admit they were wrong.

I've actually been in the position where I came from a stop sign and for one reason or another I took off when I legally needed to yield to cross-traffic. And when I did it I would always indicate verbally or through gestures that it was my mistake.

Originally Posted by UG_Passat
Get it dash cam. If you had an accident... then you would have evidence against the other driver.

Think I'd put it in the back … I can be in a mostly empty parking lot the size of NRG stadium … and if that transmission goes into "R" somebody will come out of nowhere and drive past inches behind me …

Originally Posted by 4WD
Originally Posted by UG_Passat
Get it dash cam. If you had an accident... then you would have evidence against the other driver.

Think I'd put it in the back … I can be in a mostly empty parking lot the size of NRG stadium … and if that transmission goes into "R" somebody will come out of nowhere and drive past inches behind me …

That never happens to me because I always turn all the way around when I go into reverse so I can also look out the side windows. I don't understand how some people learned how to drive by using their rear view mirror when going into reverse. The only good that will do you is to see the expression on the guy's face when you hit him.

How does that stop someone who had 50 feet in all directions from driving inches from my bumper.
The vehicle sensors go off anyway … not the point.

Originally Posted by 4WD
How does that stop someone who had 50 feet in all directions from driving inches from my bumper.
The vehicle sensors go off anyway … not the point.

It doesn't, but then when you see him by turning around, he didn't come from out of nowhere.

As for being inches from your bumper, must be the same kind of guy who will park next to you even though you park at the end of the lot to avoid people from parking next to you and dinging your door.

I drive a single cab pickup … fantastic visibility … and has backup warning sensors and camera …
Was being sarcastic about a dash cam in the back.

Came out of nowhere just means he had plenty of room to go elsewhere when he entered the lot.
One happened this am here and 4 days ago near San Antonio …
Thread is about those kind of drivers …
Yeah, on the parking next to you … a month ago I had the best ever. Went for Mexican food in the wife's SUV and parked away. Not only did someone jam up next to us … but did it with the drivers side of their vehicle … that's a 1st.

People don't like admitting they may have actually been in the wrong. See it all the time. Honk at someone who runs a red light and they honk back or give the finger because they are embarrassed that you caught them in the act.

I recently got a dash cam because I finally realized that there are way too many terrible drivers out there and I've just been lucky so far... I've only had 1 vehicle totalled due to another driver's "mistake."
The thing is, other drivers are not making honest mistakes, they are just not paying attention and/or they really just don't care about safety. It's not like they are good drivers and trying to be safe and they just had a normal accident. They ARE an accident just waiting to happen. This [censored] me off so much, it's like driver's licenses are being handed out to anyone who can start the engine and not murder anyone during a 15-minute test. And to think some states want to hand out driver's licenses to illegal immigrants, who can't read any of the road signs let alone read the driver's handbook. Holy Lord.

It's a psychological defense, I believe. Adults don't generally accept "correction" from people they don't know. Our job as defensive drivers is not to correct or "teach them a lesson." All we can do is avoid a collision and then tell ourselves how stupid they are. Trying to tell THEM won't generate positive outcomes and could lead to assault.

Originally Posted by DGXR
I recently got a dash cam because I finally realized that there are way too many terrible drivers out there and I've just been lucky so far... I've only had 1 vehicle totalled due to another driver's "mistake."
The thing is, other drivers are not making honest mistakes, they are just not paying attention and/or they really just don't care about safety. It's not like they are good drivers and trying to be safe and they just had a normal accident. They ARE an accident just waiting to happen. This [censored] me off so much, it's like driver's licenses are being handed out to anyone who can start the engine and not murder anyone during a 15-minute test. And to think some states want to hand out driver's licenses to illegal immigrants, who can't read any of the road signs let alone read the driver's handbook. Holy Lord.

You're going to love this then, Georgia and Wisconsin now issue driver's licenses to teens without passing a road test.

https://www.newsweek.com/wisconsin-becomes-second-state-allow-teens-skip-their-driving-test-1502132

I was behind a driver making a left turn onto a side street. Traffic cleared and she made the turn and I followed. Only she started to make a U-turn right after making the left and I almost broadsided her. A early 40s woman and she flips me off as she now has to back up to the curb so I can finish my almost done left turn. She backs up, flips me off AGAIN, and then pulls out her cell phone camera. Ok, that's it. So I pull out my 100,000 lumens flashlight and hit her right in the eyes and then drive off leaving an after image as my calling card.

I hate these intersections. Not because I can't handle it, but because others can't seem to. They just assume it's a 4 way. If the stop sign doesn't have a 4-way sign under it, it's a 2 way.

I know of a 4 way stop by a Walmart that others can't seem to comprehend how to take turns. They just come to a stop and go even though they were 4th in line.

Not sure in other states, but in Indiana, if 2 people come to a 4 way stop at the same time and are going to be crossing each other's path, the person on the right gets to go first. People don't get that either. When people go out of turn, I may or may not "go" since it was my turn if there's nobody else around. They move real quick for me then. Driving to the center of the intersection is pretty much all it takes for them to move.
27.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted by dlundblad
I hate these intersections. Not because I can't handle it, but because others can't seem to. They just assume it's a 4 way. If the stop sign doesn't have a 4-way sign under it, it's a 2 way.

I know of a 4 way stop by a Walmart that others can't seem to comprehend how to take turns. They just come to a stop and go even though they were 4th in line.

Not sure in other states, but in Indiana, if 2 people come to a 4 way stop at the same time and are going to be crossing each other's path, the person on the right gets to go first. People don't get that either. When people go out of turn, I may or may not "go" since it was my turn if there's nobody else around. They move real quick for me then. Driving to the center of the intersection is pretty much all it takes for them to move.
27.gif

The new trend I've discovered is people think if they've stopped behind someone at a 4-way stop, then they have "stopped" before the other 3 vehicles. So, they follow the car in front of them.

On my way work everyday, there is a 4 way intersection with a flashing light. On one side is an off ramp from the interstate with a flashing red on their side with a flashing red on the opposite side and the cross way flashing yellow. Never fails that when I am drive through that intersection with a flashing yellow for me, some bozo at least once a week with a flashing red light on their side will just flatly pull out in front of me thinking I have a flashing red light on my side also.

Originally Posted by Dave Sherman
Originally Posted by dlundblad

27.gif

The new trend I've discovered is people think if they've stopped behind someone at a 4-way stop, then they have "stopped" before the other 3 vehicles. So, they follow the car in front of them.

A lady did that to my dad in 2001 with his new at the time white Z71 Tahoe. Factory oil and everything.

Back