Club / store tires vs Regularly available models

I’ve been monitoring tire prices because I need some for my Mazda.

I’ve always avoided club only type tires that are not available elsewhere, but a deal I came across is making me think about going against that

continental sure contact is available through NTB. Promo is $70 off rebate as-well as buy 3 get 1 free.

This makes it significantly cheaper than the extreme contact dws06 I’ve wanted.

I can’t see their mounting and balancing prices but tire for tire comparison I’m looking at sure contact at 480 after $70 off and buy three get one.

extreme contacts are about 660.

both are 560 tread wears and very similar tread patterns.

should I shy away from a club only tire like I’ve always tried to? Or would that deal justify it?

What's wrong with "club only" tires, especially if you go with a popular place ? Anyone who suggests they're lesser quality is being a fool (just like "the Mobil 1 at Walmart isn't as good as what you buy at Autozone" :rolleyes:). The only concern you'd have is having to replace one and keeping a matched set, right ? That said, has anyone ever matched a tire model sold in "clubs" with the same tire sold by independants just with a different name ? I'll bet that's all they do anyway.

The tread pattern is definitely different but doesn’t look bad. Tread wear and ratings are the same so I assume they’re a very similar tire. I’d just always been against them due to being a tech so long in a dealer and independent, but given how expensive 19” tires are, I may be swayed by a deal like this.

A weird note...continental has nothing about a rebate on any tires right now, but NTBs site does. They say these tires are eligible for the buy three get one as well as $70 rebate. Weird.

I am not seeing them eligible for the buy 3 get one free. only the 70$ rebate.. are you sure they are eligible?
the website says select tires and doesnt include that model.

interested in replacing the oem tires on the 2020 elantra with something that has decent handling and traction.

i searched 205/55r16 and "buy 3 get one free" and 4 tires show up..(no contis) the continental shows up if I check 70 rebate as search option.

Last edited:
I’d just always been against them due to being a tech so long in a dealer and independent
I didn't know this was even a thing until we had some Goodyears on it when we bought it. For some reason I had to go to a tire shop for something and went to a Goodyear "reseller" and he told me "you got those at Walmart, I can't match them".

I am not seeing them eligible for the buy 3 get one free. only the 70$ rebate.. are you sure they are eligible?

interested in replacing the oem tires on the 2020 elantra with something that has decent handling and traction.

i searched 205/55r16 and "buy 3 get one free" and 4 tires show up..(no contis) the continental shows up if I check 70 rebate as search option.

seems valid on these?

Attachments

• 4C861834-D395-44DF-96E2-4FB5AC47C682.png
    4C861834-D395-44DF-96E2-4FB5AC47C682.png
    211.7 KB · Views: 20
GM just started their fall tire sale. Conti is $200 off when purchased with a GM card (also Bridgestone, Pirelli, Hankook, and Goodyear). Also, they price-match the lowest local price (Walmart included; I did it last fall). Why not go to them and get it?

I'm getting snow tires this month that way and it's a great deal. Here's the link:

I did this last fall and the rebate was approved in 36 hours and I had the $200 card a few days later. I've never experienced a better rebate, and I really enjoyed the highly professional service at my local Chevrolet dealership (WAY above typical dealer experiences - North Bend Chevrolet, North Bend, WA).

seems valid on these?

They are playing games.. it says valid on select in stock tires only..
but all the ones its valid on that fit the elantra are order in only.
the ones I want are in stock but dont come up for buy 3 get 1 free.. only manufacturer MIR (same model you listed)
Screenshot_20201001-151506.png

Last edited:
They are playing games.. it says valid on select in stock tires only..
but all the ones its valid on that fit the elantra are order in only.
the ones I want are in stock but dont come up for buy 3 get 1 free.. only manufacturer MIR (same model you listed)
View attachment 30541

good catch, figures it had to be too good to be true.

GM just started their fall tire sale. Conti is $200 off when purchased with a GM card (also Bridgestone, Pirelli, Hankook, and Goodyear). Also, they price-match the lowest local price (Walmart included; I did it last fall). Why not go to them and get it?

I'm getting snow tires this month that way and it's a great deal. Here's the link:

I did this last fall and the rebate was approved in 36 hours and I had the $200 card a few days later. I've never experienced a better rebate, and I really enjoyed the highly professional service at my local Chevrolet dealership (WAY above typical dealer experiences - North Bend Chevrolet, North Bend, WA).

great to know. thank you.

Club tire Michelins are 100% identical to other Michelin tires. The X LT A/S is identical to the Defender LTX. The X-Tour A/S T+H car tire is identical to the Defender T+H. These are sold at both Costco and Sam’s Club. I am not sure about the other brands sold at clubs like Bridgestone and General Tire, but the Michelins are the same tire. Warranty is also the same.

Depends on the tire. I think some of the club tires are garbage (o/g Walmart Vivas for example) some of them are just using the previous iteration of the tread pattern and the biggest trade off is the improvements of the newest compound. I tend to avoid for the same reasons others have stated, I can’t find replacement stock used (AWD car) if I slice a sidewall. Once the “club” sells through that size and updates the model you’re probably SOL

I always sell tires at "buy 1 and get 3 free".

Any name brand tires will be fine. I like Michelin, BF Goodrich and Continental the best and Hankook is good as well. I have no experience with the “store brand” tires as I don’t buy anything that I don’t know. Our 2017 Camry came with Bridgestone tires and they are ok but when we get new ones they will be a different brand.

Depends on the tire. I think some of the club tires are garbage (o/g Walmart Vivas for example) some of them are just using the previous iteration of the tread pattern and the biggest trade off is the improvements of the newest compound. I tend to avoid for the same reasons others have stated, I can’t find replacement stock used (AWD car) if I slice a sidewall. Once the “club” sells through that size and updates the model you’re probably SOL

The two club tire Michelins I mentioned are not using different tread patterns or compounds. They are the same identical tire. The Michelin web page descriptions are identical for both, other than the words club special tire.

The two club tire Michelins I mentioned are not using different tread patterns or compounds. They are the same identical tire. The Michelin web page descriptions are identical for both, other than the words club special tire.
Ohh then yeah go that route, probably just a different sku/name to prevent brand dilution. Again my concerns would be finding a tire down the road which isn’t an issue in this case.

Now that I’m not able to instal my own tires, and I have these 19”s, I’m finding my tire choices are so limited...and Costco Michelin’s on sale are only about $20 more expensive than continentals from a tire store. Given Costco’s free flat repairs, I think it’s almost a no brainer even though I wouldn’t get as sporty of a tire as I was looking for in the continentals.

does Costco’s tire sale get much better than is currently? I think it’s $110 off. I thought in the past it has been $100 ish off plus free install?

Now that I’m not able to instal my own tires, and I have these 19”s, I’m finding my tire choices are so limited...and Costco Michelin’s on sale are only about $20 more expensive than continentals from a tire store. Given Costco’s free flat repairs, I think it’s almost a no brainer even though I wouldn’t get as sporty of a tire as I was looking for in the continentals.

does Costco’s tire sale get much better than is currently? I think it’s $110 off. I thought in the past it has been $100 ish off plus free install?
In prior years, I have seen $70 off plus free install ($80 value) during Black Friday. One of Costco's main advantages is that they are open on Sundays. If you make a midweek appointment during the evening, I have been in/out in as little as 20 min for a rotate/balance.

Back