Closet Shelves Ideas

Looking at installing clothes hanging rods and other closest shelving idea. Current have wire shelves installed, but they are not heavy duty.

Have looked at a few videos and ideas, anyone has any suggestions as a quick and dirty DIY. Thank you :)

Are there heavy duty wire shelves. I have them in my DE home and they seem very sturdy. Ventilated shelves are a positive thing. Maybe there are different grades or manufacturers?

The previous owner of our home installed heavy-duty wire shelves in all the bedroom closets. They're nice, but a pain to remove for painting walls around them, etc.

Would wooden shelves have been easier to remove and/or paint around?
The wooden closet shelves I've had would be. Just a matter of lifting out the shelf planks and painting. The wire shelves I have have plastic clips attached to the drywall evert few feet and ~45deg metal braces underneath attached with anchors.

Then again, the wooden shelves were just basic planks, nothing fancy like built in cabinets, etc.

In my walk in closet, I bought some good 3/4 inch plywood (not particle board) and stained it myself. Had Lowe's do the free cuts on their panel saw. Bought the edge banding and then stained and sanded. Installed using 3 1/2 inch screws Also bought the metal rods from them. Super strong. You could use butt joints with glue and get those screw cap covers to hide the fasteners at the ends or use pocket screws if you have that jig.

There are heavy duty wire deck shelving as well, and for wood you also need quality plywood to hold up instead of the MDF stuff. If you already have wire shelf and it is not holding up, look for better wire deck replacement, and call it a day.

The previous owner of our home installed heavy-duty wire shelves in all the bedroom closets. They're nice, but a pain to remove for painting walls around them, etc.
I have the same in my house, they work well, but are a pain when it comes time to paint. Have had to do it once in 25 years.

Lowes has them and it is called ClosetMaid brand. Looks like the brand name has changed since I had mine installed.

I have the Closet Maid type shelving in my closets and Pantry. They work great, but ar about 20 years old, installed by the previous owner.
The only issue is the plastic "U" shaped brackets that hold them to the wall. After that many years, they have become brittle. One day the wife and I heard a crash, and all of her clothes fell with the shelving! Anyway replaced all the clips with metal ones, so I think I solved that issue.
I will find a stray piece of one of those white plastic brackets from time to time on the floor from other shelving. 🤞

Back