Closed vs open shoulders?

I’m beginning the process of looking for new tires for my truck. I’ve always bought open shoulder lugs since, in my mind, they wouldn’t hydroplane as bad. I came across this new tire from BFG and the shoulders are closed. Is my open shoulder idea just some BS that I made up somewhere in the past? I’ve noticed there are quite a few tires with closed shoulders. Any experts care to explain?
DC609502-3EF3-45B7-9381-E1F58410BF14.jpg

closed shoulders are usually for noise, wear, and possibly handling.

open are better offroad, snow and id imagine better for hydroplaning after its half worn.

All things being equal, and seeing you're in North Dallas, Texas, I would go for closed shoulders.
When it rains, drive according to conditions, in other words, slow the "f" down.
That's the coaching we gave our fleet drivers.

So the premise that an open shoulder is better for hydroplaning is just flat wrong. It's way more complicated than that.

The premise that an open shoulder is better for snow traction is only slightly better. But it's still way more complicated than that.

The other premises - noise reduction, better wear - are fairly close, but it's still complicated.

So the premise that an open shoulder is better for hydroplaning is just flat wrong. It's way more complicated than that.

The premise that an open shoulder is better for snow traction is only slightly better. But it's still way more complicated than that.

The other premises - noise reduction, better wear - are fairly close, but it's still complicated.
So what CapriRacer is trying to say is....

complicated.jpg

🤣

Thanks! There are so many with such knowledge on here. I figured there was more to it than just closed shoulders=bad in my simple mind. I had a chance to see those BFG tires in person. The sipes go all the way to the bottom and the tread blocks are pretty soft. I’m guessing that has more to do with the traction than anything else.

Back