Close up on Toyota/CTS gas pedal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Except that Sam from Autoblog got it wrong when he tells us to switch the engine off and then pull off the road. You should pull off the road BEFORE you turn the engine off, as your steering could lock when you turn off the engine.

Interesting to see that this is all about a steel pin in a brass sleeve. This could have been avoided by using sealed ball bearings on each end of the pin, but that would cost more, so...

Originally Posted By: hate2work

Except that Sam from Autoblog got it wrong when he tells us to switch the engine off and then pull off the road. You should pull off the road BEFORE you turn the engine off, as your steering could lock when you turn off the engine.

Another piece of advice given by him isn't quite right IMO. He said to push as hard as you can with both feet, and then put the tranny in neutral. Well, if the driver fails to release the brake just right in conjunction with the all the power leaving the wheels, the car could brake very rapidly and that could be somewhat challenging for some.

What I would suggest is putting the tranny in neutral ASAP, and then braking off to the side of the road, and then turning off the engine. The engine will probably be bumping off the rev-limiter for a little while, but shouldn't hurt the engine if the duration is short.

Originally Posted By: Pablo
An oil impregnated bush should be adequate. As he said the root cause remains unknown (to us).

I read or heard that there was some talk of Toyota using some kind of "shielding" as part of the fix. To me, that sounds like some kind of RF shielding ... wonder if they think there could be some kind of RF interference that causes this issue too. Totally not related to this sticky bushing theory.

I have a 2005 Tacoma, and so far have not see it in the recall list. With time, it too could show up I guess. Seems to be too many unknown at this time.

Hall effect sensor, responds to magnetism.
Possible susceptibility to electromagnetic interference....maybe depending on the exact design spec.

I did not see a cross check in the mechanism.
Of course the resolution was not the best either.
No cross check sensor would be a fatal design flaw IMHO.

That really makes me wonder if that really is the problem or if there is more to it. I would think people would notice the peddle not moving well or sticking slightly before they had problems with unintended acceleration.

This comes from some what self experience. I noticed my gas pedal on my truck not quite feeling right for a few weeks before I had a problem with it getting stuck. In my case it was some nuts that an animal hid away, impeding the cam connected to the throttle.

I think that they will find other things

it is so like Toyota to pass something off and act like its not a big deal........

first there couldn't possibly be a problem with their cars..... that is just ludacris to think that!

then it was faulty floormats comming off.... yeah that sounds good, try to make it seem like its not a major mechanical problem or electrical glitch.....

now we are on to a sticky part in the pedal assembly theory.... seems odd because it doesn't fit right with some of the descriptions people give when they encounter the sudden acceleration..... but who knows if they are telling what really happened.......

in the end, I believe this is just another deception, and they have no idea what is wrong, or its something so emberassing that they don't want to publically admit whats wrong..... what will be wrong with them next?

time will tell the truth

I think Toyota should become some sort of political propaganda machine, they might be better at that then building cars!

Last edited:
Unfortunately, due to legal pressures and pressure from stockholders; I bet that very few companies (if any) operate with full disclosure. if you admit there's a problem, stock prices fall and shareholders are upset.

c'mon - did you really believe that the problem was limited to floor mats?

look at another car company who kept insisting that cooling system problems were related to the radiator cap, instead of aged cooland eating away at plastic gasket materials.

the list goes on.

the important thing is to be safe and act smartly. a local dealer here had a woman drive to the dealer, kids in the car, with the engine racing. she certainly was skilled at shifting to neutral every time she needed to stop. it would have been ALOT smarter to stop the car at the first sign of trouble and call a tow truck. that would be thinking with your dipstick.

Why didn't "Sam" disassemble the pedal assembly and show us what's inside? I doubt that the primary sensor is simply a hall-effect device and am reluctant to believe that bronze bushings could suddenly seize to the point of resisting that return spring.

My vehicle uses dual potentiometers in a redundant mode.

35.gif

Given that there appears to be a cover over the pivot, stuff shouldn't be getting in there from outside.

I'm wondering if there's not some carpet shampooing (or something similar) galling up the bushes.

If it's the bushes.

Originally Posted By: Quest
35.gif

remind s me, i hae to make popcorn whe watching inglorious basterds on DVD tonite...
34.gif

Originally Posted By: crinkles
Originally Posted By: Quest
35.gif

remind s me, i hae to make popcorn whe watching inglorious basterds on DVD tonite...
34.gif

32.gif
good movie

wireless,
Thanks for posting this as I own one of the affected vehicles and after listening to all the B. S. on the radio I for one am glad to see a nice description. This is real info and important to some. I would be in the " defective metal in the return spring" crowd now as there doesn't appear to be enough time lapse for bushing wear?? Coincidently MACK trucks had this exact problem early into their CH and CL line of highway tractors in the 1990s as they were one of the first to use an E-pedal and a replacement was in order.

This worries me because the video says that the issue is pre-mature wear. As far as my understanding of the english language is concerned, that means that the pedals were supposed to wear out and experience this issue at some point anyway, except at that point, the car would likely be out of warranty. That would mean that all drive by wire cars on the market could be ticking time bombs in terms of experiencing this.

At what point would mature wear cause this issue? Also, was this issue able to occur on vehicles that did not have drive by wire systems? Also, I heard that if you turn off your engine, you can steer your car to the side of the road, but you lose power steering when you do. I thought that with a drive by wire system, the steering wheel should not be mechanically connected to wheels, so if you turn the engine off, how can the wheels on the car turn when you turn the wheel?

Yes, vehicles that do not have drive by wire system have throttle cables and linkages and they do wear out, although I have never had to replace one.

Anytime you have moving parts, the device will eventually wear out. Nothing lasts forever.

Originally Posted By: ShiningArcanine
This worries me because the video says that the issue is pre-mature wear. As far as my understanding of the english language is concerned, that means that the pedals were supposed to wear out and experience this issue at some point anyway, except at that point, the car would likely be out of warranty. That would mean that all drive by wire cars on the market could be ticking time bombs in terms of experiencing this.

At what point would mature wear cause this issue? Also, was this issue able to occur on vehicles that did not have drive by wire systems? Also, I heard that if you turn off your engine, you can steer your car to the side of the road, but you lose power steering when you do. I thought that with a drive by wire system, the steering wheel should not be mechanically connected to wheels, so if you turn the engine off, how can the wheels on the car turn when you turn the wheel?

In the Vernacular that we are using the drive by wire, we are talking about the throttle having no direct linkage to the gas pedal. I don't believe the government will ever allow a total drive by wire system in automobiles. By this I mean they will require brakes and steering to always have a mechanical linkage. So that in the case of total system electrical failure you can still use both.

Originally Posted By: brianl703
Yes, vehicles that do not have drive by wire system have throttle cables and linkages and they do wear out, although I have never had to replace one.

Anytime you have moving parts, the device will eventually wear out. Nothing lasts forever.

If it wears out in a way that would make you just not be able to accelerate the car, that is fine, but if it wears out in a way where the car will accelerate out of control, that is not fine.

Do old cars without drive by wire systems have parts that can wear out in such a way that they will accelerate out of control?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back