Clicking Noise while rolling straight

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just finished up replacing the clutch in my corolla. I'm getting a clicking noise when driving straight which seems to be coming from the driver's side. The clicking gets more rapid the faster I go. I think it may be the cv axle but I'm not positive.

I had a [censored] of a time getting it back in and there seems to be a 1/4 - 1/2 inch of play in the axle when you pull it back and forth (towards the wheel and tranny). I also get a gritty feeling when I'm letting up on the clutch pedal during acceleration. not sure if it's related or I just need to bleed my clutch.

Anything else this could be before I drop some money on the part? I took it apart today and the brake seems fine so I don't think that is the culprit. Boots are good on the cv axle.

Is the CV axle all the way into the Transmission? Did you have to pop it out of the tranny to do the repair? Usually that little C clip holds it in place. You may need to bang it back into the tranny with a rubber mallet until the inner shaft pops into the transmission. I usually put the axle nut back onto the outer threads first before using the rubber mallet on it, to make sure the threads are not damaged by the rubber mallet.

Regards, JC.

Last edited:
i hit that axle pretty hard trying to seat it. way harder than I was comfortable hitting it but it's as far in as it will go.

and, yes, i had to remove it when doing the clutch.

i will check for a pebble tomorrow. that would be awesome if that's all it is. i did drive on DC roads today. anything could be in there.

Originally Posted By: BrandonVA
i hit that axle pretty hard trying to seat it. way harder than I was comfortable hitting it but it's as far in as it will go.

and, yes, i had to remove it when doing the clutch.

i will check for a pebble tomorrow. that would be awesome if that's all it is. i did drive on DC roads today. anything could be in there.
I had a noise that sounded like a rock in a tire in my Camry and was clicking down the road. I couldn't find a rock and ignored it. About 300 miles later I looked and my front right tire had a huge bubble in the tread Lol.

Here's what the tire looked like

zrbf7.jpg

i took another look at it this morning before reinstalling everything a taking it for a spin. It really seems like the brake rotor is not even all the way around. At one position (say 2-4 o'clock) it rubs a lot more than the rest of the rotor. We had to jack up the rotor on that side at one point in order to get the cv axle back in. Is it possible we bent the rotor?

Originally Posted By: BrandonVA
i took another look at it this morning before reinstalling everything a taking it for a spin. It really seems like the brake rotor is not even all the way around. At one position (say 2-4 o'clock) it rubs a lot more than the rest of the rotor. We had to jack up the rotor on that side at one point in order to get the cv axle back in. Is it possible we bent the rotor?
Rotors are pretty tough. Is there any vibrations when you hit the brakes while driving? If not then I doubt the rotor is bent.

as it turns out, my hubcap was not fully seated creating a clicking noise. this also somehow created a buzzing/gritty feeling in my clutch pedal. I reseated the hubcap and clicking is gone and the pedal is as smooth as before. glad it was an easy fix.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back