CLICK ! CLICK ! Why is it that ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
some pumps constantly click off like it was full ? Very annoying
mad.gif
, makes it difficult getting an accurate fill to check mileage . This was the case while filling up earlier with 87 octane at an VALERO , has happened with HESS and many other convenience stores ( brands ) over the years . Just think of the time wasted trying to fill your tank
frown.gif

Last edited:
It's a common problem and usually has to do with a problem in your vehicle venting the air out as you are filling it up. Sometimes it can be the pump.

Try at another station. Time how long it takes to put in 5 Gallons of Gas then compare to other stations and see if the speeds are the same.

If they are it's that particular stations pumps that are a problem. If only with higher speed pumps it might be your vehicle.

I know how frustrating it is... There are certain stations I can't seem to fill up at without a problem.
mad.gif

noticed that no one was getting gas before or during the time at the VALERO convenience store . Made us a bit uneasy thinking that there may be an issue with the gas . Seems fine , getting close to 39 m.p.g. on the 87 octane ( w/ ethanol ) . This is first time using VALERO in either car . Been using 93 octane in the mowers for years without a problem .

May also try pulling the nozzle back a bit to not cover the fill hole so much with the splash guard. This has worked for me at times.

Originally Posted By: Nederlander75
May also try pulling the nozzle back a bit to not cover the fill hole so much with the splash guard. This has worked for me at times.
+1. I have also had luck with finicky nozzles by backing it out of the filler neck slightly.

This used to happen all the time at all kinds of stations with my old car, a 1997 Monte Carlo. Both of my current vehicles, a 2006 Monte Carlo and a 1999 Jeep Cherokee, don't seem to be nearly as susceptible.

I think it has a lot to do with the design of the filler neck in the vehicle.

this was a worse experience when filling up the '07 PRIUS due to it's rubber bladder . The combo of the 2 made for long , frustrating fills . It would take well over 5 minutes . Meanwhile people would get rild up while waiting for pump making it even more fun .
wink.gif

Yes, usually I just pull it out a little, then it works better.

On later model Crown Vics people will sometimes try to 'top-up' and get the most in the tank. What usually happens if they do it enough is some gas overflows into the charcoal canister. Then the next time they go to fill they have quite the time trying to fill at anything more than minimum flow. I assume this could happen on any vehicle with a canister below the top of tank.

stop pumping gas after 1 click of nozzle so not to overfill . Did 2 clicks at one time .

I just zero my trip meter when I fill up then at the next fill up I can just write down the trip miles on the receipt under the gallons dispensed. Walah you can then calculate your MPG very accurately over those gallons used. I just store up my receipts then enter them into minitab 15 with the date attached for analysis/seasonality trends.

same here . Try to use same pump at each fill and 1 click of nozzle to shut off . Then log date , gallons , miles ( reset trip A ) , octane , and m.p.g. into the black book stored in glove of each car . Use it for comparisons and overall mileage for each car since bought .

Originally Posted By: pickled
I just zero my trip meter when I fill up then at the next fill up I can just write down the trip miles on the receipt under the gallons dispensed. Walah you can then calculate your MPG very accurately over those gallons used. I just store up my receipts then enter them into minitab 15 with the date attached for analysis/seasonality trends.

You da-man Stevie!!
grin2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back