Clear coat scratches

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello everyone. Got a couple of scratches just deep enough to feel with a fingernail. Any suggestions on the best solution, thanks.

I have been looking at either nu finish's scratch doctor or meguiars scratch remover 2.0 for my situation.

Those may not be safe to remove.

If they are not near an edge or body line, I would check the paint depth, then try a light compound and a mf finishing disc as a starter. But most likely, I would hit that area with a 3000-grit finishing disc then compound and polish.

Originally Posted By: larry007
Hello everyone. Got a couple of scratches just deep enough to feel with a fingernail. Any suggestions on the best solution, thanks.

If it's not through to the color coat, and you know what you're doing, I wouldn't futz with any compounding as a first step. You'll be there forever.

For something that deep, I would start with wet sanding it, then finish it up with the polishing compounds.

No matter what you do, be prepared for a gloss spot unless it's completely orange peel free. Or feather it out to better blend it.

Just me, but sometimes a small scratch is less conspicuous then a gloss spot when they're too deep.

Another approach is to fill the scratch with clear touch up, and then bring that down. Not as durable, but you won't have to take off as much of the original finish.

Originally Posted By: Volvohead
Originally Posted By: larry007

If it's not through to the color coat, and you know what you're doing, I wouldn't futz with any compounding as a first step. You'll be there forever.

For something that deep, I would start with wet sanding it, then finish it up with the polishing compounds.

No matter what you do, be prepared for a gloss spot unless it's completely orange peel free. Or feather it out to better blend it.

Just me, but sometimes a small scratch is less conspicuous then a gloss spot when they're too deep.

Another approach is to fill the scratch with clear touch up, and then bring that down. Not as durable, but you won't have to take off as much of the original finish.

You won't get a gloss spot if you use the "finishing" unigrit sanding discs from Meguiars. These discs will preserve the the texture of the existing finishes. I tried this at the NXT class and they live up to their promise.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back