Clear bra problem

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had a 3M clear bra installed on my car a few weeks ago and it looks great. The only small problem is an air bubble half the size of a dime where there is air trapped. I tried pushing it towards the edge of the material to relieve the air pocket, but I can't get it to push that far.

Would there be any problem taking a very tiny needle and [censored] this. It reminds me of a water blister on skin.

Originally Posted By: bretfraz
Shouldn't be a problem. I've seen clear bra installers do the same thing.

Awesome, thanks!
thumbsup2.gif

I know it has nothing to do with your question but have to say to the guy that dident know they made clear bras. I had one on a car a few years ago in north idaho because of the rock chips you get in the spring from all of the deicer and gravel on the roads and it looked horrible after one spring because it looked like I had shredded plastic all over the front of my car. I think it would work if you live in a clean metropolitan area but in the country it just isent tough enough IMO.

Originally Posted By: ryland
I know it has nothing to do with your question but have to say to the guy that dident know they made clear bras. I had one on a car a few years ago in north idaho because of the rock chips you get in the spring from all of the deicer and gravel on the roads and it looked horrible after one spring because it looked like I had shredded plastic all over the front of my car. I think it would work if you live in a clean metropolitan area but in the country it just isent tough enough IMO.

Good points! They have a lot of different maker nowadays beyond 3M's product. I know they come in very thick mils. Mine is 4 mils thick, and IIRC there are up to 6 or 8 mils available. I had one on another car for two years and beyond some yellowing of the material from being in the sun, there wasn't a scratch on it. That bra was 3M as well.

Clear bras are awesome, but you pretty much need a brand new car before you do this otherwise you will be putting it over existing rock chips. We put this on my wife's 06 Corolla when we got it new, but it is only for half of the hood and the mirrors. The mirror part is taking a beating but still looks brand new.

Originally Posted By: tomcat27
with the title of the thread... I was reallly hoping this was something else.

^^^^^^^RIGHT ON!!!!!!!!!!!!
11.gif
10.gif

Originally Posted By: Audi Junkie
I'm putting a generic one on the Astra tomorrow. For $25 it's worth it just for practice.

Take your time with it and use the baby oil/alcohol homemade concoction they talk about on the Youtube videos.

I think the biggest thing is keeping fingerprints off of it. If you handle it too much it will leave unsightly finger print that you can actually see when it is done.

Originally Posted By: Audi Junkie
My install said to use a sprayer w/ water and 2-3 drops of shampoo.

I would check out some Youtube vids and stuff too though. 3M directly says to use only "Baby Shampoo" b/c of it's surfactant vs. low sud characteristic. They also say to use a 70% rubbing alcohol solution in water. I just can't remember how many parts alcohol to water though.

Have fun with it and post how it looks!

Would there be any benefit (or detriment) to polishing and waxing the areas to be covered by the clear bra before applying it?

Originally Posted By: dkryan
Would there be any benefit (or detriment) to polishing and waxing the areas to be covered by the clear bra before applying it?

Wax must be removed with 3M's aerosol wax remover OR they recommend using dishwashing soap to strip wax. Not removing the wax is detrimental to the long-term viability of the product.

Another trick is that if you have some small rock chips already, do not use touch up paint before you clear bra it, as it is a raised bump that is unsightly. Instead, use a regular old crayon for kids in the color of your paint and fill it in with the crayon material.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back