Cleaning Thottle body - Is Carb Cleaner Safe?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Getting ready to install the throttle body on my 98 Expedition 5.4, but I need to clean it first. I have heard in some cases not to clean the throttle plate. Also not sure if a carb and choke cleaner is safe, or if I need to use a throttle body cleaner.
Also, should I remove the IAC and clean it and the passages separately...no problem, just another trip to the dealer for a gasket.
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

At this point, it won't matter. You can use WD40 on the throttle body. As far as the IAC passages, you have gone this far, you might as well clean it.

Carb cleaner is OK. Avoid getting any cleaner in the TPS sensor. You only need to clean the throttle plate, the part of the bore that the plate touches, and the IAC. That thin layer of black stuff in the main passage won't affect anything, you'd just be wasting cleaner, so once it is back together try to forget that it exists. IACV gasket is likely to be reusable, but I know you don't roll that way.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by mk378
IACV gasket is likely to be reusable, but I know you don't roll that way.

thumbsup2.gif

Once and hopefully done is the way I like to do things

Originally Posted by mk378
You only need to clean the throttle plate, the part of the bore that the plate touches...
Is it even necessary to clean the plate (you mean the butterfly-type valve or the brass plate) ? I've found that removing the "ring" of carbon build-up in the bore - that you refer to - is the most critical thing.

Originally Posted by Fitz98
Do you have a part number for that IAC gasket?

E83Z-9F670-A They come to the dealer in a pack of 4, so don't be surprised if they had it to you out of the packaging.

Here is the inside of the IAC. Should I just leave this alone, or is it safe to clean with throttle body cleaner
[Linked Image]

There are some teflon coated throttle bodies you can't spray with the harsh stuff. I think yours isn't one of them. Also carb cleaner is less harsh than it used to be. Have at it!

Worst case you can use gasoline on a rag, too.

Wear gloves, all this stuff is nasty to your liver and soaks through your skin.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back